Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, Tobias Geisser and Garrett Pilon Score In Bears 4-3 Overtime Loss To Marlies

Photo: The Hershey Bears

The Hershey Bears fell to the Toronto Marlies, 4-3 (OT) Saturday night at Giant Center in Hershey. The loss drops the Bears record to 18-10-3-2 (41 points) on the season.

The Bears opened the scoring with a shorthanded goal from Axel Jonsson-Fjallby and held a 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Marlies would tie the game early in the middle frame before a high-light reel power-play goal from Garrett Pilon reinstated the Bears one-goal lead. The Marlies would tie it up again just before the second break.

The Marlies would take their first lead of the game just 50 seconds into the final frame, but Tobias Geisser would tie the game early in the final frame with his second goal of the season, ultimately sending the game to overtime. The Marlies would win it in overtime.


The Bears started goaltender Zach Fucale (6-2-2-0, 2.73 GAA, .889 sv%) in net, while the Marlies countered with Joseph Woll (5-2-2-0, 3.31 GAA, .909 sv%) in goal. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Injuries: Matt Moulson (upper-body injury), Eddie Whittchow (lower-body injury) and Bobby Nardella (lower-body injury).

Scratches: Macoy Erkamps, Christopher Brown, Colby McAuley and Marcus Vela were the scratches.

COVID Protocol: Beck Malenstyn.


The Bears struck first for the 20th time this season. The first tally came on a shorthanded goal from Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (10) at 16:39 of the first period. Lucas Johansen (6) and Brian Pinho (5) had the helpers.

The period would end with the Bears holding a 1-0 lead. The Bears led in shots 22-6 in the first period. Toronto was 0 for 1 and Hershey 0 for 0 on the power play in the first 20 minutes.


The Marlies tied the game early in the middle frame with a goal from Filip Král (2) at 5:21 of the second period. Mikhail Abramov (11) had the lone assist.

But the Bears would retake the lead moments later. Garrett Pilon would carve-up the entire Marlies penalty kill for his 12th tally of the season. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (11) and Cody Franson (13)

However, the Marlies would respond before the end of the period to tie the game 2-2. Alex Steeves (10) would pot the game-tying tally at 14:10 of the second period. Chad Krys (3) and Curtis Douglas (9) had the helpers.

The period would end with the game tied 2-2. The Bears led in shots 29-14 after two periods. Toronto was 0 for 4 and Hershey 1 for 2 on the power play after two periods.


The Marlies took their first lead of the game, early in the final frame, with a rebound tally from Josh Ho Sang (11) just 50 seconds into the period. Mikhail Abramov (12) and Mac Hollowell (9) had the assists.

The Bears would tie the game with a blast from the top of the slot by Tobias Geisser (2) at 7:10 of the third period. Joe Snively (21) and Garrett Pilon (12) had the assists.

Regulation would end with the game tied 3-3. Bears led in shots 44-20 after three periods. The Marlies were 1 for 4 and the Bears 1 for 3 on the power play.


The Marlies would win it in the extra frame.


  • AHL box score
  • Attendance: 9,392
  • Bears led in shots 44-22.
  • Stars of the game: 1) Alex Steeves, 2) Antti Suomela and 3) Garrett Pilon.
  • This was Alex Alexeyev’s 100th career AHL game.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply