Bears Fall To Penguins, 4-2; Ilya Samsonov Stops 15 of 19 Shots

Photo WBS Penguins/@kdpphotographystudio

The Hershey Bears fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2 Wednesday night at the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Ilya Samsonov, re-assigned from the Capitals taxi squad on Wednesday, stopped 15 of 19 shots faced in the loss. The defeat drops the Bears record to 3-1-2-0 (8 points) on the season.

Ilya Samsonov (1-0-1-0, 2.95 GAA, .885 sv%) got the start in goal for the Bears. Max Lagace (0-1-0-0, 2.03 GAA, .931 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Penguins. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Martin Fehervary (upper body injury), Lucas Johansen (upper body injury), Eddie Whittchow (lower body injury), Macoy Erkamps (lower body injury), Blake Pietila (Illness), Tyler Nanne, Caleb Herbert, Mason Morelli, Zach Malatesta (quarantine).

Ilya Samsonov was re-assigned to Hershey earlier in the day.

The Bears were awarded 1:06 of 5-on-3 power play time at 11:33 of the first frame, but were unable to cash-in on the two-man advantage. Shane Gersich was called twice for a faceoff violation, rendering a delay-of-game penalty on Gersich and subsequently squashing the remainder of the Bears 5-4 advantage.

The Bears would finally score first with a goal from Will Graber (1) at 18:26 of the first frame. Paul Ladue (1) and Garrett Pilon (5) had the helpers. It was Graber’s first professional goal.

The Penguins would answer back with 12 seconds left in the period on a goal from Radim Zahorna (1) at 19:48. The puck would be deflected up in the air and over Samsonov for the goal.

The period would end with the game tied 1-1. Both teams recorded nine shots in the first frame. The Bears were 0 for 3 and the Penguins 1 for 2 on the power play in the opening period.

The Penguins would take their first lead of the game with a rebound goal from Anthony Angello (1) at 7:37 of the second period. Samsonov left a rebound from a wide-angle shot on the doorstep and tried to gather the puck, but Angello was able to beat him to the puck.

The Bears would tie the game with a goal from Mike Sgarbossa (3) at 9:41 of the second period, making it 2-2. Reece Willcox (1) and Joe Snively (2) had the assists. Sgarbossa was initially hit with the first shot by Reece Willcox, but he would alertly gather the puck and fired for the score.

But the Penguins would strike back quickly with a goal from Radim Zahorna (2) at 10:39 of the middle frame to regain the lead. It was Zahorna’s second goal of the game.

The second period concluded with the Penguins leading 3-2. Hershey led in shots 9-6 for the period and 18-15 after two periods. The Bears were 0 for 4 and the Penguins 0 for 2 on the power play after 40 minutes.

The Penguins would stretch their lead to 4-2 with a goal from Nick Schilkey (1) at 3:58 of the final frame. The goal was setup by a turnover in the Bears own zone. Cameron Schilling would make an ill-advised pass that was picked off by the Penguins.

And that would be the final.

The Bears are back in action on Friday when they face the Binghamton Devils in Newark, New Jersey. Puck drop is set for 7:00 pm.


  • NHL box score
  • Attendance: 0
  • Bears led in shots 28-19.
  • Ilya Samsonov stopped 15 of 19 shots faced for a .789 game save percentage.
  • Cameron Schilling led all Bears in shots with 5.
  • Bears were 0 for 4 and the Penguins 0 for 2 on the power play.
  • Kale Kessy played defense due to several injuries sustained by Bears blueliners.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply