Ethen Frank Scores Again, But Bears Fall To Checkers, 3-2 In Shootout

Photo: Charlotte Checkers

The Hershey Bears fell to the Charlotte Checkers, 3-2 (SO) Sunday evening at the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina. Ethen Frank scored the game’s first goal for the second consecutive game and Shane Gersich scored his fourth goal of the season in the loss. The Bears record drops to 31-12-5-2 (69 points) on the season.


Hunter Shepard (13-3-4-1, 2.15 GAA, .918 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the visiting Bears. Mack Guzda (12-5-2-1, 2.62 GAA, .909 sv%) got the start in goal for the Checkers. The forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Mike Vecchione –Mike Sgarbossa – Ethen Frank
Mason Morelli – Connor McMichael – Henrik Borgstrom
Beck Malenstyn – Garrett Pilon – Henrik Rybinski
Shane Gersich – Riley Sutter – Matthew Strome

Gabriel Carlsson – Vinny Iorio
Aaron Ness – Lucas Johansen
Jake Massie – Bobby Nardella

Scratches: Hendrix Lapierre (healthy scratch – more here), Sam Anas (abdominal surgery, out indefinitely), Kale Kessy (upper body injury), Logan Day and Julian Napravnik.

Recalls and Reassignments: Dylan McIlrath was recalled by the Capitals and Joe Snively was re-assigned to the Bears on Sunday.


Ethen Frank (23) opened the scoring for the second consecutive game at 1:15. Lucas Johansen setup the score with a nice outlet pass, finding the wide open Frank in the right side. Lucas Johansen (3) and Mike Sgarbossa (28) had the helpers.

The Checkers tied the game on a fluky goal on a shot from the corner. Zac Dalpe (14) notched the tying tally at 5:56.

The first period concluded with the game tied 1-1. Hershey led in shots 13-8. There were no penalties called in the first frame


The Bears regained the lead on a redirect power play goal by Shane Gersich (4) at 5:58. Vincent Iorio ripped a shot from the point to setup the deflection. Vincent Iorio (14) and Garrett Pilon (13) had the assists.

And that was it for the middle frame. Charlotte led in shots, 8-7 in the second period and 20-16 after 40 minutes of play.


The Bears had two five-on-three power plays in the first 14 minutes of the final frame but were unable to convert. It would ultimately cost them a standings point.

The Checkers tied the game with 2:48 left in regulation. Henry Bowlby (9) knocked home the tying tall. Patrick Giles and Riley Nash had the helpers.

Regulation ended with the game tied 2-2. Hershey led in shots 9-3 in the final frame.


The Checkers were awarded a power play at 3:41 of the extra frame after Aaron Ness ran into Checkers netminder Mack Guzda, but the Bears were able to squash the Checkers’ 4-on-3 man advantage.

Charlotte was called for high-sticking with 14 seconds remaining, but the Bears were unable to convert, sending the game to a shootout.


The Checkers won it in the shootout. Connor McMichael was the only Bear to score in the skills portion of the contest.

The Bears are back in action on Saturday when they host the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Giant Center. Puck drop is set for 7PM.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Ethen Frank Scores Again, But Bears Fall To Checkers, 3-2 In Shootout

  1. Anonymous says:

    Bears had two 5-on-3 power plays in the third period and no scores. That’s the difference

  2. Jon Sorensen says:

    3 of 4 points is a good weekend in Charlotte. That 4th point was theirs, just wasn’t to be. Glad to she the shots make a full return this weekend. The rest will eventually fall in place.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Another low scoring loss.

Leave a Reply