Search NoVa Caps Site
- Capitals Recall Daniel Carr, Michael Sgarbossa From Taxi Squad; Loan Connor McMichael, Brian Pinho To Taxi Squad
- Capitals’ John Carlson On Missing Four Top Players: “I Think It Helps Them… It Gives Us A Lot Of Confidence”
- Coaching Clashes: Pierre-Luc Dubois The Latest In Coach-Player Saga in John Tortorella’s Time In Columbus
- Lars Eller Texts Capitals’ Team Chef Rob For Most Of His Meals At Home
- Report: Patrik Laine Revealed Reason for Leaving Winnipeg – Rude Treatment in Locker Room
- Capitals Lines At Morning Skate: Tom Wilson Skates, Michael Sgarbossa Recalled
- New York at Washington Series Preview: Peter Laviolette Clashes With Barry Trotz For First Time As Capitals’ Coach In 2020 First-Round Rematch
- Gr8 Endurance: Appreciating Alex Ovechkin’s Longevity Compared to His Peers – Early 2021
- Capitals’ Tom Wilson: “The Points Are More Important Now Than Ever”
- Capitals’ Head Coach Peter Laviolette: “We’re Still Ways To Go From Feeling Very Comfortable With It”
Tag Archives: Hockey Analytics
Photo by Chase Agnello-Dean/NHLI via Getty Images The Capitals rushed out to a quick 1-0 lead in the first period with Alex Ovechkin scoring his first of the playoffs 56 seconds in, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the Islanders’ … Continue reading
Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images Following the Washington Capitals‘ 2-1 victory against the Boston Bruins in the final game of the round robin portion of the NHL Playoffs, the Caps solidified the third seed in the Eastern Conference and a … Continue reading
Photo: Mark J. Terrill / AP Put simply, hockey can be broken down into two key components–scoring goals and saving shots. As the main proponent of stopping these goals is the goalie, we can undoubtedly say that they have a … Continue reading
Photo: NHL When most hockey fans hear about the new player and puck tracking system set to be deployed by the NHL, they most likely have an instant vision of the old “FoxTrax” system implemented by Fox Sports in the … Continue reading
Penalty killing has been one of the Capitals’ strengths this season, with the group currently in the top five leaguewide. “Controlled aggression” has been credited for the team’s improvement.
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be hosting a Hockey Analytics Conference on February 8th and 9th, 2020, in Columbus. We believe this is the first time an NHL team has held their own analytics conference open to the general public.
WAR! What Is It Good For? Projecting the Metro Division Standings by Expected WAR Standings Point Projections
Photo: Patrick Smith One of the new, “revolutionary” metrics that hockey statisticians are starting to calculate and track is Wins Above Replacement (WAR). WAR essentially combines all of a player’s contributions statistically into one overall metric. This calculation allows for … Continue reading
Will The NHL’s Next-Generation Data and Data Management Models Splinter and Divide Hockey Analytics?
Graphic: Deadspin On Monday NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced a new multi-year “betting partnership” with MGM Resorts International, which will include non-exclusive rights to the league’s next-generation data. The “next-gen” data will be primarily made available though the implementation of … Continue reading