Bears Rally Falls Short, Lose To Wolf Pack, 4-3 In Shootout

Photo: Hartford Wolf Pack

The Hershey Bears fell to the Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-3 (SO) Saturday night at the XL Center in Hartford. The shootout loss drops the Bears record to 30-24-5-4 (69 points) on the season. They remain at 2,999 franchise wins.

The Wolf Pack opened the scoring with a pair of goals in the first frame for a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes. Hartford extended their lead to 3-0 midway through the middle frame before Garrett Pilon and Mason Morelli added power play tallies to make it 3-2 at the second intermission.

The Bears tied the game midway through the final frame with a goal from Mike Vecchione, ultimately sending the game to overtime. After a scoreless extra frame, the Wolf Pack would win it in the shootout.


The Bears started goaltender Pheonix Copley (15-8-4-2, 2.35 GAA, .914 sv%) in net while the Wolf Pack countered with Keith Kinkaid (19-7-2-1, 2.84 GAA, .906 sv%). The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Injuries: Brian Pinho (shoulder surgery), Matt Moulson (back surgery), Mike Sgarbossa (upper-body injury), Riley Sutter (upper-body injury).

Scratches: Jake Massie, Christopher Brown and Macoy Erkamps,


The Wolf Pack made it 3-0 early in the middle stanza. Anthony Greco (15) added a power play tally at 9:36 of the second period. Zac Jones (20) and Matt Lorito (7) had the assists.

The Bears would finally dent the twine with a power play goal from Garrett Pilon (16) at 14:40 of the second period. Bobby Nardella (12) and Aliaksei Protas (8) had the assists.

The Bears would cut the Wolf Pack lead to 3-2 on a 5-on-3 power play goal from Mason Morelli (8) at 16:26 of the second period. Alex Alexeyev (14) and Lucas Johansen (19) had the helpers.

The period would end with the Wolf PAck leading 3-2. Hershey led in shot attempts 21-4 in the middle frame, and 29-14 after two periods. Hartford was 2 for 2 and Hershey 2 for 4 on the power play after two periods.


The Bears tied the game midway through the final frame with a gritty goal from Mike Vecchions (13) at 8:57.Β  Brett Leason (4) and Aliaksei Protas (9) had the assists.

Regulation would end tied 3-3.


Overtime would go scoreless. Hartford won it in the shootout.

The Bears are back in action on Friday when they play the first of a back-to-back set against the Checkers in Charlotte. Puck drop is set for 7:00 PM.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply