Bears Fall To Phantoms, 3-2 In Allentown

Photo: Lehigh Valley Phantoms

The Hershey Bears allowed a late goal in regualtion to fall to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 3-2 Sunday afternoon at the PPL Center in Allentown. The loss drops the Bears record to 24-15-3-3 (54 points) on the season.

The Bears opened the scoring with a beautiful deflected shot by Marcus Vela midway through the first frame for a 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Phantoms answered in the middle frame for a 1-1 game at the second break. The Phantoms would pot the go-ahead goal late in the final frame for the 2-1 lead. The Phantoms would add an empty net goal to make it 3-1. Mason Morelli would add a goal at the buzzer for the 3-2 final.


The visiting Bears started goaltender Zach Fucale (7-5-4-0, 2.88 GAA, .881 sv%) in net, while the Phantoms countered with Felix Sandstrom (7-11-3-1, 3.09 GAA, .892 sv%) in goal. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Injuries: Garrett Pilon (upper-body injury), Mike Sgarbossa (upper-body injury), Matt Moulson (back surgery) and Bobby Nardella (lower-body injury).

Scratches: Eddie Whittchow, Colby McAuley, Drake Rymshaw, Kale Kessy, Tariq Hammond.

COVID-Protocol: Tobias Geisser.


Bears new guy Nick Isaacon would drop the gloves midway through the first frame. It was his first game with the Bears

The Bears opened the scoring on a beautiful deflected goal by Marcus Vela (4) at 13:27 of the frame. Macoy Erkamps (4) and Shane Gersich (13) had the helpers. It was the second straight game Vela had recorded a goal.

The period would end with the Bears leading 1-0. Hershey led in shots 11-6 in the first frame.


The Phantoms tied the game early in the second period with a power play goal from Hayden Hodgson (13) 3:49 into the period. Adam Clendening (23) and Cal O’Reilly (21) had the assists.

That would be all of the scoring in the middle frame, as the game was tied 1-1 after two periods of play. Hershey led in shots 10-9 in the second period and 21-15 after two periods. Hershey was 0 for 2 and Lehigh Valley 1 for 3 on the power play in the first two periods.


The Phantoms took their first lead of the game with 4:16 remaining in regulation. Morgan Frost (5) potted the go ahead goal at 15:44. He was assisted by Charlie Gerard (4) and Garrett Wilson (12).

The Phantoms would add an empty net goal to make it 3-1.

Mason Morelli would deflect a Lucas Johansen shot from the point as time was expiring to make it 3-2, the final.

The Bears are back in action on Friday when they visit the Providence Bruins. Puck drop is set for just after 7:00 PM.



About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Bears Fall To Phantoms, 3-2 In Allentown

  1. Anonymous says:

    How much longer before the Bears have more standings points than the Caps

    • Jon Sorensen says:

      Not long at this rate. One could easily argue that they’ve been better at managing the numerous roster and player changes that both teams have dealt with, although the skill level at the NHL level is much more harder to backfill during injuries and absences.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Another blown late lead.

Leave a Reply