Garrett Pilon, Joe Snively Score In Bears 6-2 Win Over Penguins

Photo: The Hershey Bears

The Hershey Bears rallied from a two-goal deficit to down the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 6-2 Tuesday night at Giant Center in Hershey. The victory improves the Bears record to 20-12-3-2 (45 points) on the season.

The Penguins opened the scoring with a pair of goals in the first period for a 2-0 lead at the first intermission. The Bears would answer with goals from Garrett Pilon, Marcus Vela and Christopher Brown to take a 3-2 lead into the second break.

Joe Snively added a shorthanded goal midway through the final frame to extend the Bears lead to 4-2. Kale Kessy would add a late tally and Joe Snively would add an empty net goal for the 6-2 final.


The Bears started goaltender Pheonix Copley (10-7-2-2, 2.61 GAA, .902 sv%) in net, while the Penguins countered with Alex D’Orio (3-5-0-0, 2.93 GAA, .892 sv%) in goal. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Injuries: Matt Moulson (upper-body injury), Brian Pinho (upper-body injury), Cody Franson (upper-body injury), Macoy Erkamps (upper-body injury), Kody Clark (lower-body injury), Riley Sutter (lower-body injury) and Bobby Nardella (lower-body injury).

Scratches: Ryan Dmowski


The Penguins opened the scoring with a power play goal from Juuso Riikola (1) at 7:49 of the first frame. Valtteri Puustinen (14) and Sam Poulin (9) had the assists.

The Penguins made it 2-0 with a tally from Nathan Legare (4) at 10:56 of the first frame. Taylor Fedun (8) and Matt Bartkowski (5) had the helpers.

The first period concluded with the Penguins leading, 2-0. Penguins led in shots 13-9. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was 1 for 3 on the power play. The Bears did not have a man advantage in the first frame.


The Bears closed the gap with a tally from Garrett Pilon (13) at 4:05 of the middle frame. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (13) and Dylan McIlrath (4) had the assists.

Marcus Vela (2) would clean-up loose change to tie the game at 15:18 of the second period. Kale Kessy (1) and Dylan McIlrath (5) had the assists.

The Bears would take their first lead of the game on a goal from Christopher Brown (1) at 18:44 of the second period. Colby McAuley (1) and Drake Rymsha (7) had the helpers.

The second period concluded with the Bears leading 3-2. The Bears led in shots 15-8 in the second period.


The Bears stretched their lead to 4-2 late in the final frame with a shorthanded goal from Joe Snively (14) at 11:54 of the third period.

Kale Kessy would make it 5-2 on a beautiful pass from defenseman Tobias Geisser late in the final frame.

Joe Snively scored an empty net goal, his second shorthanded goal of the game, for the 6-2 final.

The Bears are back in action on Saturday when they host the Bridgeport Islanders at Giant Center. Puck drop is set for 7:00 PM.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply