Joe Snively Scores Two Goals In Bears 4-3 Overtime Win Over Phantoms

Screen cap: AHL TV

The Hershey Bears edged the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 (OT) Wednesday night at Giant Center in Hershey. The victory improves the Bears’ record to 16-9-2-1 (35 points) on the season.


Joe Snively would strike first just 17 seconds into the game and Shane Gersich would add a tally five minutes later for a quick 2-0 Hershey lead, early in the first frame. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby would make it 3-0 early in the middle frame, but the Phantoms would finally answer, late in the second period, for a 3-1 Bears lead at the second intermission.

The Phantoms quickly cut the Bears lead to one with a tally just 42 seconds into the final frame and would add a tally with 17 seconds left in regulation to tie the game 3-3 and send the game to overtime. Joe Snively would win it in overtime for the Bears.


The Bears started goaltender Zach Fucale (5-2-2-0, 2.70 GAA, .892 sv%) in net while the Phantoms countered with Pat Nagle (5-0-2-0, 2.54 GAA, .900 sv%) between the pipes. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Brian Pinho (upper-body injury), Matt Moulson (upper-body injury) and Eddie Whittchow (lower-body injury).

Hunter Shepard, Christopher Brown, Marcus Vela, Colby McAuley, Jordan Subban, Will Graber, Jake Massie and Macoy Erkamps were also scratched.

Re-assigned: Mike Sgarbossa was recalled to the Capitals taxi squad on Wednesday. The Bears re-assigned goaltender Ryan Bednard to ECHL South Carolina on Wednesday.

Released: The Bears released forward Vladislav Mikhalchuk from his professional tryout on Wednesday.

Note: It was announced this week that Matt Moulson had back surgery and will be out for an extended period of time.


The Bears wasted all of 17 seconds before they dented the twine. Joe Snively (9) would pot the game’s first tally at 0:17 of the first period. Garrett Pilon (10) and Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (8) had the helpers.

The Bears would quickly stretch their lead to 2-0 with a goal from Shane Gersich (6) at 5:00 of the first frame. Drake Rymsha (6) and Dylan McIlrath (3) had the assists.

The period would end with the Bears leading 2-0. Bears led in shots 15-4. Both teams were 0 for 2 on the power play.


The Bears would make it 3-0 with a goal from Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (7) at 7:45 of the middle frame. The goal was unassisted.

The Phantoms finally got on the scoreboard with a tally from Linus Sandin (1) at 16:02 of the second period. Matthew Strome (5) and German Rubtsov (3) had the helpers.

The second period would conclude with the Bears leading 3-1. The Bears led in shots 12-9 for the second period and 27-13 after two periods. Both teams were 0 for 3 on the power play after two periods.


The Phantoms would quickly cut the Bears lead to a single goal. Charlie Gerard (2) would pot the tally 42 seconds into the final frame. the goal was unassisted.

The Phantoms would then tie the game with 17 seconds left in regulation with a tally from Egor Zamula (3), sending the game to overtime.


Joe Snively would win it for the Bears in the extra frame.

The Bears are back in action on Friday when they visit the Crunch in Syracuse. Puck drop is 7:00 PM.


  • AHL box score
  • Attendance: 6,032
  • Stars of the game: 1) Joe Snively, 2) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby and 3) Egor Zamula.
  • Bears led in shots 34-21.
  • Zach Fucale stopped 18 of 21 shots for a .857 save percentage.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply