Remainder Of 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship Cancelled

The IIHF tournament directorate has canceled the remainder of the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship after multiple countries had players test positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday.

Wednesday’s first two scheduled games were forfeits after Team Czechia and Russia produced positive test results.

Defending Gold Medalists Team USA forfeited their second game of the tournament on Tuesday when two players tested positive for COVID-19.

“We’re extremely disappointed, especially for our players. We’re operating in an ever-changing landscape and that’s very challenging. We’ve followed the tournament protocol from the outset and will continue to do everything we can to ensure our players have the opportunity to compete at the World Junior Championship,” said U.S. national junior team general manager John Vanbiesbrouck, who was recently named GM of the men’s Olympic hockey team as well.

The cancellation comes on the heels of the IIHF’s decision late last week to cancel all events that started in January, including the women’s under-18 world championship, a decision that was heavily criticized.

The IIHF said the tournaments were cancelled because of the rapid spread of the Omicron variant.

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His passion for the Caps has grown over the decades, which has included time as a season ticket holder, social media and community organizer, and most recently led to the founding of NoVa Caps in 2014. Jon earned a Bachelor's of Science in Civil Engineering at Old Dominion University, and is a Systems Engineer during intermissions, which has been instrumental in supporting his Capitals habit.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Remainder Of 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship Cancelled

  1. Jon Sorensen says:

    Gotta feel for these kids. Particularly the ones that age out after this season.

  2. Scottlew73 says:

    Biggest joke of this cancellation is that the “proticols” that teams were supposed to be following weren’t !! It’s come out that some of teams were in hotel in Red Deer were interacting with guests from a wedding party staying in same facility over the last weekend!! As far as i’am concerned IIHF are the ones who should be embarrassed over this being cancelled,not telling teams that thier needed to be 100% zero interaction with public during course of tournament makes them look bad!!

  3. Scottlew73 says:

    Yes hockey Canada was host but they ” Run” tournament under IIHFRules for competition. Just as USA Hockey would have to if they hosted.When tournament was run under bubble conditions last year teams aside from playing had no interaction with other teams or general public. During press conference IIHF & Hockey heads claimed that they took “All Precautions”,Which is laughable because they clearly didn’t !!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.