After the Washington Capitals made numerous roster moves on Monday in reaction to six players getting placed on COVID-19 protocol, defenseman Alexander Alexeyev participated in line rushes during Tuesday’s practice, hinting that he could make his NHL debut against the Nashville Predators on Wednesday (7 PM ET, NBC Sports Washington in-market, ESPN+ out-of-market).
Defenseman Lucas Johansen, who has yet to make his NHL debut and whose brother, Ryan, is a center for the Predators, skated with the extras. The 24-year-old was drafted 28th overall in the 2016 NHL Draft.
Right-wing T.J. Oshie has yet to return from COVID-19 protocol. Wednesday will mark 10 days since he was placed in it.
Caps lines this morning:
Sgarbossa, Johansen as extras
— JJ Regan (@JJReganNBCS) December 28, 2021
On defenseman Michal Kempny getting recalled from the AHL’s Hershey Bears, center Lars Eller said “It put a smile on everybody’s face yesterday to see him back.” The 31-year-old has not played since Game 2 of the 2020 first-round Stanley Cup Playoff series against the New York Islanders on August 14, 2020 due to moving down the lineup, missing last season while recovering from Achilles’ tendon surgery, and a poor preseason in the fall that led to him being waived. Kempny has seven assists and a -3 rating in 24 AHL games this season.
* Minnesota Wild D Jonas Brodin did not practice today (COVID-19 Protocol)
* Tampa Bay Lightning C Brayden Point will return to the lineup vs. Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday after missing the last 14 games with an upper-body injury
* Former Capitals RW Devante Smith-Pelly signed a PTO with the AHL’s Laval Rocket, the Canadiens’ minor league affiliate
* Florida Panthers D Olli Juolevi has been added to the NHL’s COVID-19 protocols
* New York Rangers C Kevin Rooney has entered the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol
* New York Islanders C Brock Nelson has been placed in COVID-19 protocol
* Ottawa Senators have removed head coach D.J. Smith and video coach Mike King from the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol
CAPS TODAY: Dmitry Orlov is expected to suit up for his 599th career game tomorrow night against the Nashville Predators. More info on the #Caps defenseman and Caps Clips at https://t.co/HecIC0ECg1 pic.twitter.com/HH8dOQw6dS
— CapitalsPR (@CapitalsPR) December 28, 2021
By Harrison Brown