After defensemen Nick Jensen, Martin Fehervary, Dennis Cholowski, and goaltender Vitek Vanecek were placed in COVID-19 protocol along with right-wing Daniel Sprong and defenseman Justin Schultz, Washington Capitals head coach Peter Laviolette iced a different lineup during Monday’s practice. Defenseman Michal Kempny and goaltender Pheonix Copley were recalled to the active roster while defenseman Lucas Johansen and Alex Alexeyev in addition to right-wing Brett Leason were all assigned to the taxi squad.
Right-wing Tom Wilson also practiced in a regular jersey after missing the Capitals’ final four games before the NHL holiday pause with a lower-body injury.
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) December 27, 2021
Centers Evgeny Kuznetsov (missed three games) and Nicklas Backstrom (two) also returned from COVID-19 protocol. However, right-wing T.J. Oshie, who sat out of the Capitals’ 3-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings on December 19, did not and none of them have been activated yet.
It’s been pretty fluid but here is what it looks like the lines have been:
— JJ Regan (@JJReganNBCS) December 27, 2021
* Chicago Blackhawks G Marc-Andre Fleury did not practice on Monday (COVID-19 Protocol)
* Blackhawks defenseman Calvin de Haan has been removed from COVID-19 Protocol
* Pittsburgh Penguins C Teddy Blueger, G Tristan Jarry, D John Marino, D Mike Matheson, C Evan Rodrigues, and C Dominik Simon were all placed on COVID-19 protocol
* Philadelphia Flyers Cs Scott Laughton and Derick Brassard in addition to G Carter Hart placed on COVID-19 protocol
* Montreal Canadiens G Jake Allen in addition to D Ben Chiarot, Joel Edmundson, Jeff Petry, and Chris Wideman were placed on the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol list
* Ottawa Senators G Anton Forsberg placed in the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol
* Tampa Bay Lightning C Anthony Cirelli and D Andrej Sustr have been added to the COVID-19 protocol list
* Penguins C Evgeni Malkin (underwent knee surgery in September) participated in practice wearing a regular jersey for the first time
* Dallas Stars placed C Roope Hintz and D Esa Lindell into the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol
* Columbus Blue Jackets RW Oliver Bjorkstrand placed in the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol
— CapitalsPR (@CapitalsPR) December 27, 2021
By Harrison Brown