Rochester Rallies to Run Bears, 4-3; Garrett Pilon Scores 8th Goal Of The Season

Photo: Rochester Americans

The Hershey Bears fell to the the Rochester Americans, 4-3, Sunday night at Giant Center in Hershey. The loss drops the Bears record to 12-8-2-1 (27 points) on the season.

The Amerks struck first less than four minutes into the contest and held the 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Bears would rally in the middle frame with goals from Ryan Dmowski and Bobby Nardella for a 2-1 lead at the second break. Garrett Pilon would stretch the Bears lead to 3-1 just 56 seconds into the final frame before the Amerks would respond with three unanswered goals for the 4-3 win.


Ryan Bednard (0-0-0-0) 0.00 GAA, .000 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Bears. Michael Howser (2-1-0-0, 2.82 GAA, .899 sv%) got the start in goal for the visiting Americans. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Zach Fucale (COVID protocol), Brian Pinho (upper-body injury), Riley Sutter (upper-body injury), Cody Franson (lower-body injury) and Jordan Subban.

Re-calls: Joe Snively was recalled by the Capitals Sunday morning.


The Amerks struck first with a goal from Ryan MacInnis (5) at 3:20 of the first period.   Sean Malone (13) and Michael Mersch (10) had the helpers. The goal was setup by a turnover by Bears defenseman Michal Kempny behind the Bears goal.

The period would end with Rochester leading 1-0. The Amerks’ doubled up the Bears in shots 12-6 in the first frame. Rochester was 0 for 1 on the power play while Hershey did not have a man advantage in the first period.


The Bears would tie the game with a goal from Ryan Dmowski (3) at 3:56 of the second period. Garrett Pilon (9) and Michal Kempny (7) had the assists.

The Bears would grab their first lead of the game with a goal from Bobby Nardella (3) at 15:00. Ryan Dmowski (1) and Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (7) had the helpers.

The period would end with the Bears leading 2-1. The Bears led in shots 17-6 for the middle frame. Rochester was 0 for 2 and Hershey 0 for 1 on the power play after 40 minutes of play.


The Bears stretched their lead to 3-1 with a goal from Garrett Pilon (8) 56 seconds into the final frame. Dylan McIlrath (2) had the lone assist.

But the Amerks would cut the lead to one. Peyton Krebs (x) would score at 7:12 of the third period. Oskari Laaksonen (13) and JJ Peterka (16) had the assists.

The Amerks would tie the game, 3-3 with a goal from Ethan Prow (3) at 12:09 of the period. Michael Mersch (11) and Brendan Warren (1) were credited with the assists.

The Amerks would score a late goal for the 4-3 win.



About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply