Axel Jonsson-Fjallby Scores Highlight-Reel Goal In Bears 4-1 Victory Over Penguins

Photo: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

The Hershey Bears downed the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-1 Tuesday night at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre. The victory improves the Bears record to 10-7-2-1 (23 points) on the season.

Joe Snively would pot the game’s first tally to give the Bears a 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Bears would add goals from Kody Clark and Axel Jonsson-Fjallby in the middle frame for a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes of play. The Penguins would net a late goal but Matt Mouslon would reinstate the three-goal lead with a late tally for the 4-1 final.


Pheonix Copley (5-4-1-0) 2.63 GAA, .898 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the visiting Bears. Matt Jurusik (1-0-0-1, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 sv%) got the start in goal for the Penguins. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Brian Pinho (upper-body injury), Riley Sutter (upper-body injury), Ryan Dmowski  and Jake Massie.

Re-assigned: Goaltender Zach Fucale was recalled by the Capitals on Friday, December 10. He was re-assigned to Hershey on Sunday, December 12.


The Bears’ Cody Franson and Penguins’ Felix Robert would collide in the corner during the early going. Franson would be able to leave the ice under his own power, but would leave the game with a “lower-body injury” and not return.

The Bears struck first with a goal from Joe Snively (8) at 11:48 of the first period. Mike Vecchione (11) and Tobias Geisser (3) had the helpers.

The period would end with the Bears leading 1-0. The Penguins led in shots 8-7 in the first 20 minutes. Hershey was 0 for 1 and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 0 for 1 on the power play in the first period.


The Bears made it 2-0 on a goal from Kody Clark (4) at 18:49 of the second period. Mason Morelli (3) and Bobby Nardella (4) had the assists.

A little over a minute later the Bears would make it 3-0 on a beautiful play by Axel Jonsson-Fjallby with 19 seconds left in the middle frame. Jonsson-Fjallby would first make a nice defensive stop, stealing the puck at the blueline. He would then finish with a filthy top-shelf snipe.

The period would end with the Bears leading 3-0. The Bears led in shots 12-5 in the middle frame. Hershey was 0 for 1 and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 0 for 2 on the power play in the second period.


The Bears and Penguins skated to a scoreless draw for a majority of the final frame before the Penguins finally got on the scoreboard with a goal from Pierre-Olivier Joseph (3) at 17:18 of the period. Kyle Olson (2) and Jordy Bellerive (9) had the assists.

But the Bears would later reinstate the three-goal lead with a tally from Matt Moulson (3) at 18:35 of the third period. Shane Gersich (5) and Mike Vecchione (12) had the helpers.

The Bears would shut it down from there and hold on for the 4-1 victory.

The Bears are back in action on Friday when they visit the Springfield Thunderbirds. Puck drop is set for just after 7:00 PM.


  • AHL Box Score
  • Attendance: 2,505
  • Bears led in shots 26-19 for the game.
  • Drake Rymsha led the Bears in shots with 4.
  • Pheonix Copley stopped 18 of 19 for a .947 game save percentage.
  • Stars of the game: 1) Joe Snively, 2) Kody Clark and 3) Pierre-Olivier Joseph.
  • This game was a makeup game for a recent game postponed due to the Bears’ COVID-19 outbreak.



About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply