Alex Alexeyev Scores First Goal Of The Season In Bears 4-2 Loss To Laval Rocket

Screen cap: AHL TV

The Hershey Bears fell to the Laval Rocket, 4-2 Sunday night at Giant Center in Hershey. The loss drops the Bears record to 9-7-2-1 (21 points) on the season.

Hershey opened the scoring with a power play goal from Cody Franson but the Rocket would answer for a 1-1 tie at the first intermission. The Rocket would then grab their first lead of the game early in the middle frame, but Alex Alexeyev would answer with his first goal of the season to tie the game 2-2, the score at the second break.

Laval would grab a 3-2 lead midway through the final frame on an awarded penalty shot and add a late goal for the 4-2 win.


Zach Fucale (4-1-2-0) 2.63 GAA, .898 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Bears. Cayden Primeau (7-6-1-2, 2.82 GAA, .908 sv%) got the start in goal for the Rocket. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Brian Pinho (upper-body injury), Riley Sutter (upper body injury), Lucas Johansen (COVID-19 protocol) and Jake Massie.

Re-assigned: Goaltender Zach Fucale was recalled by the Capitals on Friday, December 10. He was re-assigned to Hershey on Sunday, December 12.


The Bears opened the scoring with a power play goal from Cody Franson (4) at 10:15 of the first period. Joe Snively (12) and Mike Vecchione (10) had the helpers.

The Rocket would tie the game late in the frame with a tally from Terrance Amorosa (1) at 17:00 of the period. Alex Belzile (6) and Rafaël Harvey-Pinard (7) had the assists.

The period would end with the game tied, 1-1. Shots were tied 10-10 for the first 20 minutes. Hershey was 1 for 1 and Laval 0 for 1 on the power play in the first period.


The Rocket would take their first lead of the game early in the middle frame with a shorthanded goal from Gabriel Bourque (3) at 1:27 of the second period. Lukas Vejdemo (7) had the lone assist.

Alex Alexeyev (1) tied the game at 5:24 of the middle frame. Cody Franson (7) and Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (5) had the helpers.

The period ended with the game tied 2-2. Hershey led in shots 14-7 in the second period, and 24-17 after two periods. Laval was 0 for 2 and Hershey 1 for 2 on the power play after two periods.


The Bears appeared to grab the lead at 4:50 of the final frame, but officials reviewed a potential goal by Mike Vecchione and determined that Vecchione used a distinct kicking motion to direct the puck for the score.

The Rocket would be awarded a penalty shot moments later. Rafaël Harvey-Pinard (4) would convert to give Laval a 3-2 lead at 7:11 of the final frame.

The last penalty shot scored on the Bears was back on November 11, 2016 against Vitek Vanecek. Bears goaltenders were 11 for 11 in stops prior to tonight.

Laval would add a late goal from Rafaël Harvey-Pinard (5) to make it 4-2, the final.


  • AHL Box Score
  • Attendance: 6,053
  • Hershey led in shots 40-21
  • Cody Franson led the Bears in shots with 5.
  • Zach Fucale stopped 17 of 21 shots faced for a .809 save percentage.
  • Laval was 0 for 2 and Hershey 1 for 5 on the power play.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply