Axel Jonsson-Fjallby Scores Overtime Game Winner As Bears Top Penguins 3-2

Photo: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

The Hershey Bears downed the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 3-2 (OT) Saturday night at the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes-Barre. The victory improves the Bears record to 9-6-2-1 (21 points) on the season. They remain in third place in the Atlantic Division.

The Penguins would strike first early in the game, but Bobby Nardella would pot his first goal of the season for a 1-1 tie at the first intermission. Cody Franson would give the Bears a 2-1 lead early in the second period but the Baby Pens would answer less than a minute later for a 2-2 score after 40 minutes of play.

After a scoreless third period, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby woold bring the curtain down in the extra frame for a 3-2 Bears win.


Pheonix Copley (4-4-1-0) 3.40 GAA, .874 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the visiting Bears. Tommy Nappier (1-3-0-0, 3.08 GAA, .900 sv%) got the start in goal for the Penguins. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Brian Pinho (upper-body injury), Riley Sutter, Lucas Johansen and Jake Massie.

Recalled: Goaltender Zach Fucale was recalled by the Capitals on Friday, December 10.


The Penguins would strike first with a goal from Valtteri Puustinen (6) at 4:07 of the first period. Felix Robert (5) and Mitch Reinke (1) had the helpers. The goal also initiated the Penguins annual teddy bear toss for charity.

But the Bears would answer. They would tie the game with a goal from Bobby Nardella (1) at 8:18 of the first period. Mike Vecchione (8) had the lone assist. It was Nardella’s first goal of the season.

The first period would end with the game tied 1-1. The Penguins led in shots 11-7 in the first 20 minutes. Hershey was 0 for 1 and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were 0 for 2 on the power play in the first frame.


The Bears would take a 2-1 lead on Cody Franson’s third goal of the season at 3:23 of the middle frame. Joe Snively (11) and Matt Moulson (8) had the assists.

But the Penguins would answer right back less than a minute later to tie the score 2-2. Felix Robert (5) would tie the game at 3:51 of the middle frame. Radim Zohorna (4) had the lone assist.

The second period would conclude with the game tied 2-2. Shots were tied 11-11 for the middle frame. Both teams were 0 for 4 on the power play after two periods.


The Bears and Penguins skated to a scoreless draw in the final frame.

Hershey led in shots 7-6 in the third period.


The Bears would win it late in the extra frame with a goal from Axel Jonsson-Fjallby.

The Bears are back in action on Sunday when they host the Laval Rocket at Giant Center. Puck drop is set for just after 5:00 PM.


  • First Bears game since November 26. 12 players, coaches and/or staff tested positive for COVID-19 causing a two-week shutdown for the Bears.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply