Connor McMichael Scores Game-Tying Goal With 53 Seconds Left In Regulation, And Wins It In Overtime With Buzzer-Beater Goal

The Hershey Bears rallied to beat the Binghamton Devils 3-2 (OT), Sunday afternoon at the Giant Center in Hershey. The win improves the Bears record to 8-4-2-0 (18 points) on the season.

The Devils struck first midway through the opening frame for a 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Bears would even the score early in the middle frame with a goal from Garrett Pilon, but the Devils would respond 10 seconds later to restore their one goal lead. Connor McMichael would tie the game with 53 seconds remaining in regulation, sending the game into overtime. McMichael would win it in overtime just before time expired.

Zach Fucale (3-1-0-1,  1.50 GAA, .937 SV%) got the start between the pipes for the Bears. Evan Cormier (2-1-2-0, 3.13 GAA, .876 sv%) got the start in goal for the visiting B-Devils. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Lucas Johansen (upper body injury), Macoy Erkamps (lower body injury), Mason Morelli, Will Graber, Andrew Nielsen, Blake Pietila, Reece Wilcox.

The Bears recalled goaltender Hunter Shepard from the South Carolina Stingrays earlier this week. He is in quarantine. He was re-assigned to South Carolina on Sunday.

Aliskei Protas was re-assigned to the Bears on Thursday. Sources say he will travel from Europe on Monday and then quarantine before joining the team.

The Devils struck first with a goal from Nolan Foote (4) at 7:32 of the first period.

The period would end with the B-Devils leading 1-0. Bears led in shots 10-7 for the first frame. Hershey was 0 for 1 on the power play. The B-Devils did not have a power play in the first period.

The end of the period saw intensification of the physical play. This led the Bears first power play.

The Bears would tie the game with a goal from Garrett Pilon (4) at 2:50 of the second period.

But the Devils would answer just 10 seconds later with a tally from Graeme Clarke (4) at 3:00 of the middle frame.

The Bears were called for two delay of game penalties after shooting the puck over the glass on consecutive plays, giving the Devils a 5-on-3.The Bears penalty kill was able to kill both penalties.

Unfortunately, the Bears were called for another penalty just as the previous 5-on-4 expired, but the penalty kill was once again up to the task.

The second period would expire with the Devils leading 2-1. The Bears outshot the Devils 23-6 for the second period and led 33-13 after two periods. Binghamton was 0 for 3 and the Bears 0 for 1 on the power play after two periods.

The Devils and Bears skated to a scoreless draw for most of the final frame. The Bears looked like they notched the game-tying goal with 1:13 left in regulation, but the goal was waived-off for a high stick call.

Then 20 seconds later Connor McMichael would pot the game-tying goal, and this time it counted. He would find the back of the net with 53 seconds remaining in regulation.

Regulation would end tied 2-2.

Connor McMichael would win it in OT just before the overtime period expired.

The Bears are back in action on Wednesday when they visit the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Allentown, PA. Puck drop is set for just after 7:00 PM.


  • AHL box score
  • Attendance: 1,179
  • Bears led in shots 51-28.
  • Binghamton was 0 for 4 and Hershey was 0 for 1 on the power play.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply