The Rangers struck first with a goal late in the first frame to take a 1-0 lead into the first intermission. Following a scoreless second period, the Capitals would tie the game early in the final frame with a tally from John Carlson, but the Rangers would add a late goal from Mika Zibanejad and an empty net goal for the 3-1 win.
Ilya Samsonov (6-0-0-1, 2.54 GAA, .907 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Capitals. Keith Kinkaid (1-0-0-1, 2.32 GAA, .905 sv%) started in goal for the visiting Rangers. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Capitals:
Scratches: Lars Eller (lower body injury), Jonas Siegenthaler and Trevor van Riemsdyk.
Tom Wilson returned to the lineup after serving a seven-game suspension for his hit on the Bruins’ Brandon Carlo on March 5.
The Rangers struck first late in the opening frame with a goal from Pavel Buchnevich (11) at 17:49 of the first period.
— Shayna (@hayyyshayyy) March 20, 2021
That would be it for the scoring in the first frame. The Capitals led in shot attempts 11-8 and in shots on goal 10-7. The Rangers led in scoring chances 5-4, with the Capitals leading in high-danger scoring chances, 2-1.
The Rangers were 0 for 1 and the Capitals 0 for 2 on the power play in the first period. The Capitals led the battle at the circle, 52-48%.
The Capitals and Rangers skated to a scoreless draw in the middle frame.
The Capitals led in shot attempts 16-9 in the second period, and 27-17 after two periods. The Rangers led in shots on goal 8-7 in the second period, with the Capitals leading 17-15 after two periods.
The Rangers were 0 for 2 and the Capitals 0 for 3 on the power play after two periods. The Capitals led in scoring chances 7-4 in the middle frame, and 11-9 after two periods. The Capitals led in faceoffs 59-41%.
The Capitals tied the game with a goal from John Carlson (7) at 5:55 of the third period. Tom Wilson (11) and Nicklas Backstrom (22) had the helpers.
You work hard and good things happen 👌 pic.twitter.com/fJvBjrtdnb
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) March 21, 2021
The Rangers would grab a late lead with a goal from Mika Zibanejad (7) at 17:28 to make it 2-1.
— Shayna (@hayyyshayyy) March 21, 2021
The Rangers would add an empty net goal for the 3-1 win.
The Capitals now have a four-day break before they return to the ice on Thursday when they host the New Jersey Devils in the first game of a two-game set. Puck drop is set for 7:00 PM.
- Capitals led in shot attempts 52-29.
- The Capitals were 0 for 4 and the Rangers 0 for 3 on the power play.
- Ilya Samsonov stopped 22 of 24 for a .917 game save percentage.
- Capitals won the battle at the dot 57-43%.
- The loss snapped the Capitals seven-game winning streak.
- With an assist against the Rangers, Tom Wilson has now recorded 18 points (7g, 11a) in 22 games this season. Wilson’s 0.82 point per game rate ranks fourth on the Capitals and is a single-season career high.
- Evgeny Kuznetsov played in his 500th career game tonight against the New York Rangers. Kuznetsov’s 0.81 points per game rate is the eighth-highest rate among Capitals with 500 games played.
- Richard Panik also played in his 500th career NHL game tonight.
By Jon Sorensen