Martin Fehervary Scores Game Winning Goal In Bears 4-3 Overtime Victory Over Devils

Photo: @BingDevils

The Hershey Bears downed the Binghamton Devils 4-3 (OT) Sunday afternoon at the Giant Center in Hershey. The Bears would give-up a late lead in the third period, but defenseman Martin Fehervary would win it for the Bears in the extra frame. The victory improves the Bears record to 7-2-2-0 (16 points) on the season.

Pheonix Copley (1-1-1-0, 2.65 GAA, .884 sv%) started between the pipes for the Bears. Evan Cormier (2-1-1-0, 2.95 GAA, .882 sv%) started in goal for the visiting Devils. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Lucas Johansen (upper body injury), Paul LaDue (upper body injury), Eddie Whittchow (lower body injury), Macoy Erkamps (lower body injury), Blake Pietila, Tyler Nanne, Mason Morelli, Caleb Herbert.

The Bears signed defenseman Andrew Nielsen to a PTO on Friday. He will have to quarantine before he can play. More here.

The Bears opened the scoring with a goal from Kody Clark (4) at 18:54 of the first frame. Matt Moulson (5) and Shane Gersich (2) had the helpers.

And that would be all of the scoring in the first period. The Bears led in shots 11-4. Binghamton was 0 for 1 on the power play. Hershey did not have a man-advantage.

The Bears would stretch their lead to 2-0 with a goal from Brett Leason (4) at 6:40 of the second period. Kale Kessy (1) had the lone assist.

The Devils would respond with a redirect off of a faceoff on the power play by Danick Martel (4) at 7:36 of the middle frame, to make it 2-1.

The second period would conclude with the Bears holding on to a 2-1 lead. Binghamton led in shots 9-3, with the Bears leading 14-13 after two periods. The Devils were 1 for 2 and the Bears 0 for 1 on the power play after two periods.

The Devils would tie the game 2-2 with a goal from Ben Street (4) just 33 seconds into the final frame.

The Bears would regain the lead with a goal from Garrett Pilon (2) at 12:14 of the final period, making it 3-2. Joe Snively (5) and Zach Malatesta (1) had the assists.

But the Devils would tie the game at 3-3 with just 33 second left in regulation with a goal from Marian Studenic.

Martin Fehervary would score the game-winner for the Bears in overtime. Garrett Pilon (9) and Mike Sgarbossa (3) had the helpers.

The Bears are back in action on Friday when they visit the Binghamton Devils in Newark, New Jersey. Puck drop is set for 7:00 PM.


  • AHL box score
  • Attendance: 1,182
  • Shots on goal were tied 27-27.
  • Three stars: 1) Martin Fehervary, 2) Danick Martel and 3) Brett Leason
  • Binghamton was 2 for 3 and the Bears 0 for 2 on the power play.
  • Garrett Pilon led the Bears in shots with 4.
  • Pheonix Copley stopped 24 of 27 shots faced for a .888 game save percentage.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply