No Bodychecking Allowed In OHL This Season

Lisa MacLeod, Ontario’s minister of sport, confirmed on Friday afternoon that the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) will not have bodychecking this coming season.

According to Sportsnet, Macleod said that removing purposeful physical contact from the game was a necessary step to preventing the spread of COVID-19.

MacLeod said the decision was influenced by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which had several COVID-19 outbreaks on its teams earlier this fall.

The OHL announced on Thursday that February 4 will be the new start date for the 2020-21 season. Training camps will begin on January 23rd. The season will be shortened to 40 games. European and American players will arrive by January 8 to quarantine and begin preparations for the season.

It will be interesting to see how the OHL implements and regulates the ruling.

[UPDATE] 4:25 PM
Darren Dreger is reporting that his sources believe no decision has been formally made at this point.

[UPDATE] 4:40 PM
Lisa MacLeod, Ontario’s minister of sport, responded to Dreger’s tweet.

[UPDATE] 5:20 PM
Lisa MacLeod issued her own statement on Twitter:

[UPDATE] Saturday, 8:15 PM
The Ontario Premier weighed in.

So…..stay tuned.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His passion for the Caps has grown over the decades, which has included time as a season ticket holder, social media and community organizer, and most recently led to the founding of NoVa Caps in 2014. Jon earned a Bachelor's of Science in Engineering at Old Dominion University, and is a Systems Engineer during intermissions, which has been instrumental in supporting his Capitals habit.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to No Bodychecking Allowed In OHL This Season

  1. Jon Sorensen says:

    McMichael could go 🦧💩

  2. Joe says:

    words can’t describe this nonsense

Leave a Reply