Photo: Lincoln Journal Star
The Boston Bruins announced on Saturday morning, just prior to Game 3 of their first round series against the Carolina Hurricanes, that Vezina Trophy nominee Tuukka Rask has decided to opt out of the rest of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
The 33-year-old told the media earlier this week that he found the Eastern Conference bubble in Toronto dull. He released the following statement, via the Bruins.
Bruins GM Don Sweeney said that “We understand completely where Tuukka is coming from. I don’t think it’s any big surprise to us, to be honest with you. We’re privy to information maybe before the rest of the public is, and this has been a difficult decision for Tuukka, but the Boston Bruins are in full support of why he made this decision.”
Goaltender Jaroslav Halak, who went 18-6-6 with a .919 save percentage, a 2.39 goals-against average, and three shutouts during the regular season, started Game 3 for the Bruins. He allowed four goals on 29 shots in his lone Stanley Cup Playoff game before Saturday, the Bruins’ 4-1 loss in their round-robin opener on August 2 vs. the Philadelphia Flyers.
Rask went 26-8-6 with a .929 save percentage (fourth), 2.12 goals-against average (second), and five shutouts (tied for second) for the league-leading Bruins during the regular season.
Daniel Vladar served as Halak’s back up for Game 3.
By Harrison Brown