Bears Rally Falls Short, Lose 3-2 To Bruins In Shootout

Photo: Providence Bruins

The Providence Bruins beat the Hershey Bears 3-2 (SO) Sunday afternoon at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island. The loss drops the Bears record to 37-18-3-4 (81 points) on the season. With the shootout loss, the Bears maintain a one point lead over the Bruins for first place in the Atlantic Division.

the Bruins opened the scoring with a goal midway through the opening frame for a 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Bruins would stretch their lead to 2-0 with a tally early in the middle frame to take a 2-0 lead into the second intermission. The Bears would tie the game with two goals in the final two minutes of regulation, sending the game to overtime. After a scoreless extra frame, the Bruins would win it in the shootout.

Pheonix Copley  (17-8-5-2, 2.49 GAA, .904 sv%) started between the pipes for the visiting Bears. Dan Vledar (12-7-1-3, 1.83 GAA, .935 sv%) got the start in goal for the Bruins. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Tommy Hughes, Kale Kessy, Lucas Johansen, Connor Hobbs (shoulder surgery, out indefinitely) and Brett Leason (illness, did not make the trip) were the injury scratches. Joe Snively, Steve Whitney and  Eddie Whittchow were the healthy scratches.

The Bruins opened the scoring with a goal from Zach Senyshyn (7) at 9:28 of the first frame.

The first period would conclude with the Bears trailing 1-0. Hershey led in shots 7-5 after one period. Providence was 0 for 1 on the power play. The Bears did not have a power play.

The Bruins would extend their lead to 2-0 with a goal from Jakub Lauko (5) at 5:33 of the middle frame.

The second period would end with the Bruins firmly in control of the contest, leading 2-0. Providence led in shots 11-9 in the middle frame, with shots on goal tied 16-16 after two periods. Providence was 0 for 4 and the Bears 0 for 0 on the power play after two frames.

The Bears and Bruins skated to a scoreless draw for a majority of the final frame. But Hershey would come up big in the waning moments of regulation. The Bears would score two goals in the final two minutes, to send the game to overtime.

The Bears cut the Bruins lead to one with a 6-on-5 goal from Phil Maillet (17) at 18:17 of the final frame. Mike Sgarbossa (26) had the lone assist.

The game-tying tally came with 2 seconds left in regulation, as Matt Moulson (22) potted the Bears second goal, also at 6-on-5. Daniel Sprong (21) and Mike Sgarbossa (27) had the helpers.

The game would head to overtime. The Bears secured a point which gives them sole possession of first place.

The overtime period would go scoreless. Providence recorded the only official shot on goal in the extra frame.

1. Bruins: Fitzgerald: Good. Bears: Maillet: No Good
2. Bruins: Cehlarik: No Good. Bears: Sprong: No Good
3. Bruins: Studnicka: No Good. Bears: Sgarbossa: No Good


  • AHL box score
  • Attendance: 9,080
  • Hershey led in shots 37-26
  • Phil Maillet led the Bears in shots with 6.
  • Pheonix Copley stopped 23 of 25 shots for a game save percentage of .920%.
  • Providence was 0 for 6 and Hershey 0 for 1 on the power play.


View this post on Instagram

Nice save by #30 @danvladar30 at the @ahlbruins game.

A post shared by Katie Means (@katiemeanswhat) on

View this post on Instagram

Battle for first place today #Bruins

A post shared by Olivia Rounds (@olivemediaround) on

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His passion for the Caps has grown over the decades, which has included time as a season ticket holder, social media and community organizer, and most recently led to the founding of NoVa Caps in 2014. Jon earned a Bachelor's of Science in Civil Engineering at Old Dominion University, and is a Systems Engineer during intermissions, which has been instrumental in supporting his Capitals habit.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply