Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) are hosting activations, initiatives, and content throughout their properties, which include the Washington Capitals, Washington Mystics, Washington Wizards and Monumental Sports Network, to honor and celebrate Women’s History Month in March. The teams and Monumental Sports Network will be commemorating “HERstory” during the month of March. This month is also Gender Equality Month and Sunday, March 8 is International Women’s Day.
Everyone is invited to follow along during the month of March by using the hashtags #CelebrateHER, #HerTimeToPlay, #PowerofWomen, #ALLCAPS #ALLHER, #CelebrateWomen, and #MakingHerstory.
Various activities will be taking place during the month such as basketball clinic with Mystics’ guard Natasha Cloud, HERtory 5k run, and a mini-series celebrating the journeys of several inspirational women in our community by Monumental Sports Network.
Capitals Hockey Ambassador and Team USA Olympic Gold Medalist Haley Skarupa will be participating in skate with the all-female team, Potomac Lady Patriots, who are based in Woodbridge, Virginia. In addition, Skarupa, Olympian Hilary Knight, and former U.S. National Team members Dana Trivigno and Taylor Wasylk will be hosting a youth hockey clinic.
The Capitals-Chicago Blackhawks game on March 14 is the team’s Women’s Celebration Night, which will include a ceremonial puck drop with local female youth players and Olympians Haley Skarupa, Hilary Knight, and Hannah Brandt. Additional tributes toward females in hockey will occur throughout the evening.
The Wizards are set to host a pre-game panel, provide tickets for local non-profit groups focused on empowering women and girls, and have an in-game presentation messaging on International Women’s Day and provide designed t-shirts:
Monumental Sports & Entertainment has announced a host of activations, initiatives and content across its various properties, including the Washington Capitals, Washington Mystics, Washington Wizards and Monumental Sports Network, to commemorate Women’s History Month in March.
“We are proud to use our myriad of impactful platforms to educate fans and celebrate Women’s History Month,” Monica Dixon, Chief Administrative Officer & President, External Affairs at Monumental Sports & Entertainment, said. “At Monumental, we are passionate about inspiring the next generation of women and girls through a shared love of sports and community and continue to encourage all to recognize the amazing accomplishments and future potential they hold.”
Highlights of Monumental’s Women’s History Month activities include:
Monumental Releases Personal Video Series on MSE Women in Sports
- Monumental Sports Network will release a mini-series celebrating the journeys of several inspirational women in our community that will be available on social media platforms, subscriber newsletters and on broadcasts throughout the month of March.
Monumental Basketball “Her Time to Play” Clinic with Natasha Cloud at Trinity Washington University on Saturday, March 7
- Monumental Basketball is hosting a “Her Time to Play” clinic with Natasha Cloud at the Trinity Washington University, free for girls ages 6-14, and will include an invitation to Game Growers (sponsored by Nike) for their program participants.
Washington Mystics at DC DPR 5K “Herstory” run on Saturday, March 7
- The Washington Mystics will have representation at The District of Columbia Department of Parks and Recreation #FitDC initiative “HERStory 5K” which starts and finishes at Freedom Plaza beginning at 7 a.m.
Washington Wizards Host International Women’s Day on Sunday, March 8
- The Washington Wizards will host a pre-game panel, provide complimentary game tickets for local area non-profit groups focused on empowering women and girls, have in-game presentation messaging on International Women’s Day and provide specially designed t-shirts as part of a ticket package. (attached)
Washington Capitals Rink Partner Visit on Wednesday, March 11
- Olympian and Capitals Hockey Ambassador Haley Skarupa and former U.S. National Team member Dana Trivigno will participate in a skate with the Potomac Lady Patriots, an all-female team based in Woodbridge, Va.
Washington Capitals Youth Girls Clinic on Friday, March 13
- Local youth hockey players ages six through 18 will participate in a Caps Youth Girls Clinic at MedStar Capitals Iceplex on March 13. Olympians Haley Skarupa and Hilary Knight and former U.S. National Team members Dana Trivigno and Taylor Wasylk will lead the clinic.
Washington Capitals Host Women’s Celebration Game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday, March 14
- The Capitals vs. Blackhawks game marks the team’s Women’s Celebration Night. The game will feature a ceremonial puck drop with local female youth players and Olympians Haley Skarupa, Hilary Knight, and Hannah Brandt. Additional tributes toward females in hockey will take place throughout the game.
- Multiple local organizations focused on empowering girls will attend the Capitals’ March 14 morning skate and meet Olympians Haley Skarupa and Hannah Brandt and former U.S. National team members Dana Trivigno and Taylor Wasylk.
Follow along during the Month of March by using the hashtags #CelebrateHER, #HerTimeToPlay, #PowerofWomen, #ALLCAPS #ALLHER, #CelebrateWomen and #MakingHerstory.
By Della Young
— MonumentalSportsNet (@MonSportsNet) March 1, 2020