Sound Tigers Beat The Bears 3-2; Martin Fehervary Scores

Photo: Bridgeport Sound Tigers

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers rallied to beat the Hershey Bears 3-2 Saturday evening at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut. The loss drops the Bears record to 8-7-2-2 (20 points) on the season.  The Bears are back in action on Sunday when they face the Bruins in Providence. Puck drop is set for 3:05 PM.

Pheonix Copley (4-4-3-1, 2.40 GAA, .906 sv%) got the start in goal for the visiting Hershey Bears. Christopher Gibson (3-3-3-2, 2.49 GAA, .915 sv%) started between the pipes for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Lucas Johansen (lower body injury, day-to-day), Bobby Nardella (upper body injury, week-to-week), Connor Hobbs (lower body injury, day-to-day) and Steve Whitney (upper body injury) were the injury scratches. Matt Weiss and Kody Clark were the healthy scratches.

Mike Sgarbossa, Beck Malenstyn, Christian Djoos and Ilya Samsonov were recalled by the Capitals on Wednesday, November 20th. Kody Clark was loaned to Hershey after coming off of the “season opening injured reserve” list on Friday.

The opening stanza began with choppy play and plenty of turnovers by both teams. The Sound Tigers led in shots on goal 2-0 at the 13:00 minute mark. The Bears would register their first shot on goal with 11:38 remaining in the first frame.

Martin Fehervary (3) would score the game’s first goal at 9:21 of the opening frame. Colby Williams (2) and Matt Moulson had the helpers.

But the Sound Tigers would answer. Nick Schilkey would pot the game-tying goal at 13:43 of the first period.

The Bears began to pickup their shot production, leading 9-5 with two minutes left in the period.

The first period would conclude with the game tied 1-1. The Bears outshot the Sound Tigers 11-5 for the first 20 minutes. There were no penalties called in the first period.

The Bears would take a 2-1 lead with a tally from Joe Snively (2) at 5:02 of the second period. Riley Sutter (1) had the lone assist. It was Sutter’s first AHL point.

But once again the Sound Tigers would answer. Mason Jobst would beat Copley gloves side at 6:56 of the middle frame.

The Sound Tigers would take their first lead with a power play goal from Andrew Ladd at 12:08 of the second period.

The horn would sound with the Sound Tigers holding a 3-2 lead. Bridgeport outshot the Bears 14-4 for the second period, and 20-15 after two periods of play. The Bears are 0 for 0 and the Sound Tigers 0 for 2 on the power play after 40 minutes.

The final frame would go scoreless, as shot production dropped-off for both teams in this period. Shots on goal for the final frame were tied 5-5.

The Sound Tigers would hold on for the 3-2 win.


  • Attendance: 2,459
  • The AHL box score is here.
  • Bridgeport led in shots on goal 25-20.
  • Axel Jonsson-Fjallby led the Bears in shots with 4.
  • The Bears road losing streak increases to six games.
  • This was only the 7th game this season in which the Bears scored the first goal of the game.


View this post on Instagram

Oliver Wahlstrom gives us the lead!!!

A post shared by bridgeport sound tigers (@soundtigers) on

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Sound Tigers Beat The Bears 3-2; Martin Fehervary Scores

  1. Pingback: Connor McMichael Scores Third Hat Trick In 20 Games; Joe Snively Scores In Back-To-Back Games; Beck Malenstyn Makes NHL Debut; Week 10 Prospect Update | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.