Wolf Pack Beat Bears 2-1

Photo: Hartford Wolf Pack

The Hartford Wolf Pack beat the Hershey Bears 2-1 Friday night at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut. The loss drops the Bears record to 6-5-1-1 and improves the Hartford Wolf Pack’s record to 9-1-0-3. The Bears are back in action Saturday night when they visit the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Allentown, PA. Puck drop is set for just after 7:00 PM.

Vitek Vanecek (3-1-1-0, 2.92 GAA, .881 sv%) started in goal for the visiting Bears. Igor Shesterkin (5-1-1-1, 1.83 GAA, .932 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Wolf Pack. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Lucas Johansen (lower body injury, day-to-day), Bobby Nardella (upper body injury, week-to-week), Kale Kessy and Tobias Geisser. The Capitals  re-assigned Liam O’Brien to the Bears on Wednesday.

The Bears and Pack played end-to-end hockey for the first half of the opening frame, but with no scoring. The Bears led in shots on goal 2-1 after 10 minutes of play.

The Bears would be the benefactors of the game’s first power play at 12:37 of the opening frame. The Bears were 5 for 49 (10.2%) on the man advantage for the season entering the contest. The Bears would be unable to convert.

Vitek Vanecek would make a series of nice stops following the Bears power play, keeping the game scoreless. The Wolf Pack would get their first power play at 17:47 of the first frame after Beck Malenstyn was called for goaltender interference. Hartford was dead last in power plays (4 for 50) entering the contest. The Wolf Pack would also be unable to convert.

The first period expired without a score. The Wolf Pack led in shots on goal 9-6. Both teams were 0 for 1 on the power play.

The Bears finally broke the seal on the scoring with a deflected goal from Mike Sgarbossa. Christian Djoos would let one fly from the left point, just inside the blue line, and Sgarbossa would redirect the shot for the 1-0 lead at 7:22 of the second period. Christian Djoos (9) and Matt Moulson (5) had the helpers.

The Wolf Pack would tie the game with a goal from Steven Fogarty with just 52 seconds left in the second period.

The second period would conclude with the game tied 2-2. Hartford outshot Hershey 10-9 for the second period, and led 19-15 after two periods of play. Hershey was 0 for 1 and Hartford 0 for 2 on the power play after 40 minutes.

The Wolf Pack would quickly grab a 2-1 lead just 22 seconds into the final frame with a goal from Darren Raddysh.

The Wolf Pack would hold on for the 2-1 win.


  • Attendance: 4,895
  • The AHL box score is here.
  • Hartford outshot Hershey 27-23.
  • Vitek Vanecek stopped 25 of 27 for a .926 game save percentage.
  • The Bears were 0 for 1 and the Wolf Pack 0 for 3 on the power play.
  • The Bears entered the game allowing the least shots per game on average this season, ranking first in the AHL with just 25.58 shots against per game.
  • The Wolf Pack enter tonight’s contest having dropped three straight games (0-1-0-2).
  • The Bears entered the game having won six-straight at XL Center.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Wolf Pack Beat Bears 2-1

  1. Pingback: Connor McMichael Keeps-Up Scorching-Hot Scoring Pace, Mitchell Gibson Shines In Back-To-Back Starts For Harvard: Prospects Weekly Report | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply