Marlies Beat Bears 4-3; Axel Jonsson-Fjallby Scores Two Goals

Photo: Toronto Marlies

The Toronto Marlies beat the Hershey Bears 4-3 Wednesday night at Coca Cola Coliseum in Toronto. The loss drops the Bears recoard to 2-2-1-0. The Bears continue their Canadian road trip with a stop in Belleville to battle the Senators on Friday night. Puck drop is set for just after 7:00 PM.

Vitek Vanecek (3.42 GAA, .875 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Bears. Kasimir Kaskisuo got the start in goal for the Marlies. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Scratches: Shane Gersich (lower body, day-to-day), Connor HobbsKale KesseyTobias GeisserBobby Nardella and Chris McCarthy. Riley Sutter and Kody Clark did not make the trip.

The Marlies would strike first with a break away goal from Kenny Agostino at 5:55 of the first period. The break away occurred during a Bears line change, gaining a 2-on-1 rush, with Agostino beating Vanecek glove side.

The Marlies would make it 2-0 with a power play goal from Egor Korshkov at 10:17 of the opening frame. Beck Malenstyn, the Bears best penalty killer, was called for hooking at 10:07 of the period.

The Bears would battle back with a goal from Liam O’Brien at 18:31 of the first period. O’Brien would throw the puck at the net, with a Marlies defender deflecting the puck in the goal.

The opening frame would expire with the Marlies leading 2-1. The Marlies led in shots on goal 10-8 after 20 minutes. The Bears were 0 for 1 and the Marlies 1 for 1 on the power play in the first period.

The Marlies would quickly re-gain their two goal lead with a goal from Adam Brooks at 1:20 of the middle frame.

Vitek Vanecek was subsequently pulled from the game and replaced by Pheonix Copley. Bears head coach Spencer Carberry made only one in-game goalie change all of last season.

The Bears would cut the Marlies lead to one with a goal from Axel Jonsson-Fjallby at 10:39 of the middle frame. Erik Burgdoerfer was credited with the lone assist.

But the Marlies would restore their two-goal lead just before the end of the middle frame. Tanner MacMaster would beat Copley five-hole for a 4-2 lead.

The second period would expire with the Marlies leading 4-2. Shots on goal were 11-11 for the second period, with the Marlies leading 21-19 after 40 minutes of play. The Bears were 0 for 3 and the Marlies 2 for 3 on the power play after two periods.

The Bears would cut the Marlies lead to one, early in the final frame. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby would score his second of the season and the game at 4:52 of the final frame. Brian Pinho had the lone assist.

That Marlies would hang on for the 4-3 final.


  • The AHL box score is here.
  • Hershey lead in shots on goal 30-24.
  • Vitek Vanecek stopped 8 of 11 shots.
  • Pheonix Copley stopped 12 of 13 shots.
  • Hershey was 0 for 5 and Toronto 2 for 4 on the power play.


View this post on Instagram

Time for warmups in Toronto! #hbh

A post shared by Hershey Bears (@thehersheybears) on

View this post on Instagram

Marlies V Bears 🏒

A post shared by Shane Ralph (@shaneralph86) on

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Marlies Beat Bears 4-3; Axel Jonsson-Fjallby Scores Two Goals

  1. Pingback: Bears Blast Belleville 5-1; Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, Beck Malenstyn Score Again | NoVa Caps

  2. Pingback: Axel Jonsson-Fjallby’s Game Is “Flowing” Well | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply