The Washington Capitals improved their preseason record to a perfect 4-0-0 with a 6-0 drubbing of the Blackhawks in Chicago Wednesday night. The Capitals wrap-up their two-game mini-road trip Friday night when they visit the Blues (3-2-0) in St. Louis. The Capitals edged the Blues 3-2 in Washington on September 18, in the first preseason meeting. Here’s the latest from Capitals training camp currently on the road in St. Louis.
The Capitals brought all 34 remaining players on the training camp roster on the road trip to Chicago and St. Louis. The following players are on the game roster for Friday night in St. Louis:
Braden Holtby is expected to get the start and go the distance. Vitek Vanecek is the slated backup for Friday night’s contest.
The lines at Friday morning’s skate:
Capitals lines tonight vs Blues
Holtby and Vanecek listed as the goalies.
— Samantha Pell (@SamanthaJPell) September 27, 2019
From the other bench
The Blues roster for Friday night’s tilt.
Defensemen Martin Fehervary and Tyler Lewington are expected to play against the Blues, and they’re the only two defensemen from Wednesday’s game who are slated to be in Friday night’s lineup as well. Up front, Brendan Leipsic, Liam O’Brien and Chandler Stephenson played in Chicago and they are also scheduled to suit up in St. Louis.
The Capitals game notes for Friday night’s tilt game be found here.
NEXT ROSTER CUTS
According to Mike Vogel, The Capitals will likely make their next, and possibly final round of roster cuts when they return from the road trip on Saturday, and before the team departs for their matinee game with the Hurricanes in Raleigh Sunday afternoon.
The current training camp roster:
Lars Eller had a three point game (2g, 1a) in Chicago Wednesday night, good enough to move him to the top of the Capitals leading scorers in the preseason. Here are the player stats after four preseason games.
Braden Holtby player in his first preseason game Wednesday night in Chicago, stopping all five shots he faced. Pheonix Copley leads all remaining goaltenders with a .936 save percentage so far this preseason.
- A portion of the Blues training camp roster participated in the Kraft Hockeyville game Thursday night in Calumet, Michigan. (More here.)
- The Blues and Hurricanes announced on Tuesday afternoon that they have exchanged defenseman Joel Edmundson, forward prospect Dominik Bokk, and a seventh-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft from the St. Louis Blues for defenseman Justin Faulk and a fifth-round pick in next summer’s NHL Draft. (More here.)
- All teams need to reduce their roster to the 23-player maximum and be below the league salary cap of $81.5 million by 5:00 PM Monday afternoon.
- The Capitals final training camp practice at MedStar Capitals Iceplex is set for Saturday.
- The Capitals will make a return trip to St. Louis early next week for the season opener. (Promo below).
By Jon Sorensen