On Tuesday the NHL released a five-minute video detailing the rules changes in place for the coming season. The video provides an in-depth review of changes associated with expanded use of video review, enhanced player safety initiatives and changes made to promote more offense and flow to the game.
In summary, the rule changes include:
- Officials will review all major and match penalties, excluding fighting penalties.
- Officials will have the option to review any double-minors for high sticking.
- Coaches challenges will now include a third category for reviewing offensive zone game stoppages.
- Penalties for unsuccessful coaches challenges are now consistent across all three categories.
- Players who lose their helmets during play may be subject to a penalty if the player does not immediately exit the ice, or replace his helmet.
- Expanded limitation on teams making a line change.
- Faceoff locations chosen by offensive team.