Sound Tigers Beat Bears 3-2 In Overtime; Force Game 5 On Saturday

Photo: Tori Hartman

The Hershey Bears fell to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 3-2 in overtime Tuesday night at the Giant Center in Hershey. The Sound Tigers win forces a decisive game 5 in Bridgeport on Saturday.

Vitek Vanecek (1-0-0-0, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 sv%) got the start between the pipes for Hershey. Christopher Gibson (1-1-0-0, 1.58 GAA, .938 sv%) got the start in goal for the visiting Sound Tigers. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

O’Brien – Sgarbossa – Barber
Walker – Megna– Whitney
Gersich – Pilon – Pinho
Steman – McCarthy – Malenstyn

Johansen – Lewington
Leach – Sproul
Williams – Hobbs

Scratches: Aaron Ness (upper body) and  Kris Bindulis (upper body) were the injury scratches. Joe Snively (School), Jusso Ikonen, Max Kammerer, Tobias Geisser and Bobby Nardell0 were the healthy scratches in Game 4.

The Bears opened the scoring with a dirty goal from Ryan Sproul at 5:47 of the first period. Brian Pinho (1) and Beck Malenstyn (2) were credited with the helpers.

That would be all of the scoring in the opening frame. The Bears outshot the Sound Tigers 10-9 for the first 20 minutes. Both teams were 0 for 2 on the power play in the first period.

The Sound Tigers tied the game early in the middle frame with their own dirty goal from Stephen Gionta just 2:17 into the second period.

The Bears regained the lead with a short-handed goal from Jayson Megna at 15:22 of the middle frame, his second shorty of the series.

The second period concluded with the Bears leading 2-1. The Sound Tigers outshot the Bears 12-6 in the middle frame, and lead 21-16 after two periods. Both teams were 0 for 3 on the power play after two periods.

The Sound Tigers would tie the game early in the final frame with a goal from Oliver Wahlstrom at 2:15 of the third period.

Regulation would end with the games tied 2-2. The Sound Tigers outshot the Bears 17-5 in the final frame, and 39-21 in regulation. The Sound Tigers were 0 for 3 and the Bears 0 for 4 on the power play through three periods.

The game nearly went the Bears way when rookie Garrett Pilon wristed one off the cross bar less than 30 seconds into the extra frame.

The Sound Tigers would win it 1:13 into overtime with a snipe from the top of the left circle from Matt Lorito.

Game 5 of the best-of-five series is set for Saturday in Bridgeport. Puck drop is set for 7:00 PM.



  • The Bears are now 3-8 in their last 11 Game 4s.
  • Bridgeport outshot Hershey 40-24.
  • The Bears were 0 for 4 and the Sound Tigers 0 for 3 on the power play.
  • Attendance: 6,858
  • The NHL box score for the game is here.


View this post on Instagram

Someone’s excited! #HersheyBears 🐻

A post shared by Kelly Bekelja (@kellybekelja) on

View this post on Instagram

#hbh #defendtheden

A post shared by Nate Hemerly (@wingbowlchamp3) on

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Sound Tigers Beat Bears 3-2 In Overtime; Force Game 5 On Saturday

  1. Pingback: Hershey Bears Drop Game 4 to Bridgeport Sound Tigers in OT (Photos) | NoVa Caps

  2. Pingback: Washington Capitals Prospect Review and Forecast: Vitek Vanecek | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.