While T.J. Oshie and Family, the Alzners, and other Capitals players head off on the All-Star Game break, Capitals defenseman John Carlson and goaltender Braden Holtby traveled to San Jose, where they took part in the NHL Skills Competition, in which Carlson won the Hardest Shot Competition.
Carlson won the competition with a shot speed of 102.8, becoming the second straight Capitals player to win the competition, following captain Alex Ovechkin’s win in 2018 with a shot speed of 101.3. Carlson matched up against fellow defensemen Seth Jones, Brent Burns, and forward Steven Stamkos.
Holtby, as one can imagine, was quite happy of his teammate’s win:
Holtby is such a proud papa. pic.twitter.com/tfVZwCZ2JF
— NHL GIFs (@NHLGIFs) January 26, 2019
Player | Shot 1 (mph)
1. Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets | 99.4
2. John Carlson, Washington Capitals | 102.8
3. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning | 96.2
4. Brent Burns, San Jose Sharks | Miss
Player | Shot 2 (mph)
1. Brent Burns, San Jose Sharks | 100.6
2. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning | 93.1
3. Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets | 95.1
4. John Carlson, Washington Capitals | 100.8
Winner: Carlson (102.8)