Bears Fall To Penguins 4-1

Photo: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

The Hershey Bears fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 4-1 Friday night at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre. The loss dropped the Bears record to 2-6-0-1. The same two teams are back at it Saturday night at Giant Center in Hershey. Puck drop is 7:00 PM. 

Vitek Vanecek (2-2-1, 2.37 GAA, .917 sv%) made his fourth straight start in goal for the visiting Bears. Tristan Jarry (1-1-0, 3.55 GAA, .883 sv%) got the start in goal for the Penguins. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Bears:

Fast pace to the start of this one. The Bears were outshot 6-2 through the first five minutes of play, but Vanecek was sharp from the start. The Bears would be the benefactors of the games first power play when Jonas Siegenthaler was tripped behind his own goal. The Bears had several nice chances but could not convert.

The Bears would return to the power play with 7:28 remaining in the period when Shane Gersich was slashed, but it would be the Penguins that would capitalize. The Pens would score on a 2-on-2 rush for the short-handed goal by Anthony Angello at 13:55 of the opening frame. Bears defenseman Aaron Ness seemed overly concerned with Riley Barber’s backcheck, and Angello subsequently snapped one past Ness and Vanecek.

The period would end with the Pens leading 1-0. The Pens outshot the Bears 10-6 for the first 20 minutes.

The Penguins would get their first power play at 4:22 of the middle frame when Tyler Lewington was called for hooking, but the Bears penalty kill continued its strong play, making it 13 consecutive stops.

The Penguins would stretch their lead to 2-0 with a breakaway goal from Adam Johnson at 9:27 of the middle frame.

A closer look from the reverse angle shows the puck may have been initially stopped by Vanecek.

The Penguins would make it 3-0 when Adam Johnson scored his second of the contest at 16:25 of the second period.

The second period would conclude with the Baby Pens leading the Bears 3-0. Shots on goal for the middle frame were 12-12. The Bears were 0 for 4 and the Penguins 0 for 1 on the power play after 40 minutes of play.

The Bears would finally find the score sheet on the end of a beautiful pass from Pilon to Whitney who found Liam O’Brien for the score at 11:14 of the final frame. This was O’Briens 5th goal of the season.

But the Penguins would get it right back with a redirect by Jimmy Hayes at 15:24 of the final frame.

Connor Hobbs would blast Ryan Horvath a long the boards, leading to Hobbs and McGrath dropping the gloves.


  • Shots on goal were 28-28.
  • Bears were 0 for 4 and the Penguins 0 for 2 on the power play.
  • Steve Whitney, Tyler Lewington and Liam O’Brien led the Bears in shots with 3 each.
  • Bears complete seven-game road trip with a 2-4-0-1 record.
  • The AHL box score is here.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.