Hershey Bears Fall To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 6-2 in First Preseason Tilt

Photo: Hershey Bears

The Hershey Bears fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 6-2 Saturday night at the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes Barre. This was the Bears first preseason tune-up of the 2018-2019 season. The Bears will open their regular season schedule next Saturday night when they host the Syracuse Crunch at Giant Center. Puck drop to the season is set for 7:00pm.

The starting lineup for the Bears:

[Note: Shane Gersich was reassigned to Hershey on Saturday. Liam O’Brien and Riley Barber were waived on Saturday for the purposes of being reassigned to Hershey. More here.] The game notes can be found here.

Jeremy Morin, Connor Hobbs, and Colby Williams served as the alternate captains for Hershey. The Bears will need to create a new leadership core for this season, due to offseason departures. More on that here.

The Bears had decent offensive zone time in the early going, but were outshot 7-2 through the first 10 minutes of the game. The Penguins would strike first with a goal from Sam Lafferty at 10:30 of the opening frame.

The Penguins would get another quick strike, this time Sam Miletic would get the tally to make it 2-0, with 8 minutes remaining in the opening stanza.

The first period concluded with the Penguins leading 2-0. The Penguins outshot the Bears 9-2. Both teams were 0 for 2 on the power play.

The Bears would strike quick at the opening of the second period, as Jeremy Morin knocked in his own rebound just 15 seconds into the middle frame.

The Penguins would restore their two-goal advantage with a goal from Ethan Prow with 12:12 remaining in the second period.

Steven Whitney would cut the Penguins lead to one on a wrap-around goal with 6:05 left in the second period. Beck Malenstyn and Connor Hobbs were credited with the helpers.

But the Penguins would once again quickly restore the two goal margin with a goal from Teddy Blueger, making it 4-2.

Sam Lafferty would knock home his second tally of the game to make it 5-2 with three minutes remaining in the middle frame.

The Penguins would lead 5-2 after 40 minutes of play. The Penguins led in shots on goal 20-9 after two periods of play.

The “Sam” show would continue for the Penguins as Sam Miletic would notch his second tally of the game, a power play goal to make it 6-2.

The Penguins would shut the door on a Bears 4-minute power play late in the final frame to seal the 6-2 win. The Penguins would outshoot the Bears 30-15 for the contest.

The two teams rematch tomorrow at Giant Center for Hershey’s final game of the preseason. The puck drops at 5 p.m. and tickets are general admission and just $12. For more information, visit HersheyBears.com.



About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Hershey Bears Fall To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 6-2 in First Preseason Tilt

  1. Pingback: Icing the Chocolatetown Team: Projecting The Hershey Bears’ Opening Night Roster | NoVa Caps

  2. Pingback: Gersich and Jonsson-Fjallby Score in Hershey Debuts | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply