According to a social media post by the St. James, the Capitals Alex Ovechkin will be attending their grand opening on Saturday, and will christen their two new ice rinks, meet with members and have a skate.
The St. James announcement was included in a post to their Instagram account on Friday evening. It stated:
“We are excited to announce that #StanleyCup MVP @AlexanderOvechkinOfficial will be joining us tomorrow for #GOTheStJames to help christen our ice, warm up our ice #hockey 🏒 team and meet his fellow Founding Members.
It’s not too late to register to attend for free, just follow the link in our bio ⬆️”
You may recall that Ovechkin was on hand for the official groundbreaking for the St. James last September (2017). You can read more about last September’s ground breaking here.
Sofia Bezkorovainaya, a skating coach located in Northern Virginia, announced on her Instagram page Friday evening, that she had the honor of being the first to skate on one of the two new rinks.
The “St. James“ is a 450,000 square foot Sports facility that includes two professional-sized ice rinks. It is located in the northwest corner of the 495/395/95 interchange, in Northern Virginia.
Some of the features of the center include:
- A multi-purpose turf field for full-length competitive soccer,
- lacrosse, football, field hockey and softball.
- Two NHL regulation-sized ice rinks for hockey, figure skating, open skating and curling.
- Aquatics center.
- Basketball and volleyball center.
- Baseball and softball center.
- Golf and racquet center.
- Gymnastics and dance center.
- Laser tag, rock climbing walls, and party rooms in a family entertainment center.
- Health and wellness center that will include orthopedic medicine, pre- and post-operative rehabilitation and pediatric care.
- Health club with cardio and strength training equipment and yoga, spinning and Pilates studios.
The center is membership based, but non-members will be able to sign up for programs. It will accommodate 1,240 people, plus 900 spectators. In addition to regular sports and fitness activities, the center plans to host special events like tournaments, meets and athletic showcases on weekends.
You can register to attend Saturday’s event right here.
By Jon Sorensen