NoVa CAPtures Vol. 5 – Still Soaking in the Summer Fun

Hello fellow Capitals fans, and welcome to the latest installment of NoVa CAPtures! The fun, weekly article that showcases the amazing content we receive from you, the fans! In this installment, NoVa Caps’ presents some of the submissions sent in for this week.

Over the course of the season, thousands of fans show us how they Rock the Red in various ways, and we love all of your submissions! This is where we will showcase your love for the Washington Capitals. If you would like to be featured in a future installment of NoVa CAPtures, send your content to the Community Section of our Facebook page, or by inboxing them to us on Instagram or Twitter (@nova_caps).

Alternatively, if your content is used and you would like us to remove it, please message any of our social media accounts and we’ll take your post(s) down accordingly. Please note that if you are advertising a product, even if it is Capitals themed, NoVa Caps will not assist you in those endeavors.

Please also note that submissions private messaged to our Facebook page run the risk of not being seen in time to make it to NoVa CAPtures. Please upload them directly to our page.

We’re now in the thick of the offseason, many sports fans have directed their full attention to baseball. Recently, Bryce Harper won the Homerun Derby, so Washington fans still have a lot to be excited about in the world of sports, even with the trail going quiet on a lot of the happenings for the Capitals.

But for some, just waiting patiently to watch the banner be raised in October, the Stanley Cup party carries on. So, how is the summer treating those loyal fans? Let’s have a look!

CupPlates.jpg

NOW THIS IS DEDICATION! I also briefly considered getting a vanity plate to celebrate the cup win, and it might have read “CAPS18” Or “GO CAPS”, but this one is even prettier, since is has the Weagle right on the plate too, and the team name! That’s price of being a transplant fan, I don’t get these kinds of awesome customization options at the DMV. I know it can be costly to keep vanity plates, at least in the northeast, but I certainly hope you have to update those plates a few times! Beautiful submission!

Submitted by: Dave Lynch

beachbeer.jpg

What’s better than a cold beer on the beach on a hot summer’s day? A cold beer on the beach on a hot summer’s day in a Washington Capitals Stanley Cup Champions koozy! (Not to be confused with our Kuzy) I can almost feel this picture, I can feel the heat from the sun on top of my head, and the ocean breeze in my hair, the sand between my toes, and the thin fabric of the koozy in my hand, not doing much to keep the cold bottle from being felt. I do so love the summer. If only hockey was still going on in July and August, it’d be the perfect time of year. There’s nothing like a little Caps pride in the sweltering heat. Perhaps I should consider attending an away game facing the Coyotes.

Submitted by: Becca Lusk Childress

Pitstop

So, you thought the pictures with the Stanley Cup were finished, didn’t you? Well, so did these folks! Until Mark Nemish (Caps’ Strength and Conditioning Coach) had his day with the Cup. That’s when Lord Stanley just so happened to stroll through the hometown of these Caps fans! Imagine pulling up to a car in a parking lot and seeing the Stanley freakin’ Cup in the passengers seat! How shocked do you think they were to see it? I don’t think I’d quite believe my eyes if I were to see it that way. Anyway, major props to Mark Nemish for letting a few fans have a special moment on his day with the Cup, and even bigger props to these fans for their amazing, surprise submission!

Submitted by: Nicole DiPatrizio Eggers

BotswanaSafari.jpg

I’d like to take you on a journey, dear reader. Since NoVa CAPtures began, I’ve often explained where the content I’m sent comes from, but I’ve never directly quoted the submission. That changes now because I cannot believe what I read when this post was sent to me.

And I quote, “I went to my first Caps game in 1976 and been a diehard fan of the game and CAPS ever since. I’ve waited my entire life to see the CUP Raised in DC. I missed that moment by 2 days due to being on Safari for a month in Botswana. However the morning after the victory I got word that the CAPS were CHAMPIONS and we celebrated!! My celebration from Kawhi Community concession in Botswana with some help from my guide friends from South Africa”.

…WOW.

Here I am, a New England based Capitals fan, thinking I’m hot shit for being able to drive six hours to DC to take in a game twice or three times a year. And then this guy comes along and tells me the most amazing travel story I’ve ever heard! Caps fans truly are everywhere! Even on safari in Botswana! I’m not sure what exactly one does on a safari, but it sounds very exciting! And I’m glad you were able to rock the red under the African sky while you enjoyed your intercontinental adventure!

Submitted by: Brent Schnupp

Fanart

Have I ever mentioned that I love fan art? No? Well, I do. In fact, that’s your assignment this week, readers! If you have Washington Capitals fan art you’d like to show off, submit it to NoVa Caps by 7/30 to have it featured in the next NoVa CAPtures collection! Now, I’ve seen this shot a million times; it made the cover of several newspapers and has been one of the most widely circulated shots from the Cup’s introduction. But I’ve never seen it quite like this, it’s absolutely breathtaking! Guys, a human drew this! Think about that. I can’t draw a proper stick figure and someone made this beautiful picture with their hands. Unreal. I could stare at this all day. I low key wish it was for sale.

Submitted by: Brian Haas

Art by: Bradley Hodson

NewMexico

Last time, I asked fans to submit photos of themselves wearing Alternate Jerseys to be included in today’s post. This man did just that! Here we see one of the beautiful underused jerseys rocking the red (white and blue) Sandia Mountains in the land of enchantment, New Mexico! That’s quite the shot! And look passed our fellow Capitals fan for just a moment at the view behind him! Amazing! You could rock the red anywhere and the Capitals presence would make the scene beautiful, but that view would be just as stunning in the submission was of someone wearing a Penguins jersey!

…On second thought, maybe not.

Submitted by: Nick Larsen

MetroCards

From the Metro Division to metro passes, the Washington Capitals pride can be felt EVERYWHERE right now. If I lived in The District, I’d probably chain this to my neck rather than keep in my wallet. But I suppose that is the more practical thing to do. Look at those faces! Who knew cheap plastic could depict such utter joy? Remember when T.J. Oshie and Matt Niskanen took the subway to get to the Capital One Arena for the playoffs? Do you think they ever imagined they’d one day be carrying a card for the subway with their pictures on it? Imagine what that must feel like. The only card in my wallet with my face on it is my drivers license; these guys take the metro with their mugs!

capskids

This week’s Caps Kid is miss Heleighna, who we’re told is a big fan of Christian Djoos. Well, Heleighna, I’m a big fan of your shirt! Keep rocking the red, young lady! And keep cheering for Djoos! I’m sure he’s happy to have such a big fan, especially with serious competition on the blue line Carlson and Orlov.

And that does it for this week’s NoVa CAPtures, please continue to send us your submissions! Anything and everything is always welcome! And as always, stay tuned to NoVa Caps for the latest Washington Capitals news!

By: Chris Laroche

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to NoVa CAPtures Vol. 5 – Still Soaking in the Summer Fun