Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images
The Washington Capitals beat the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3 (OT) Saturday afternoon at Capital One Arena. After the Jackets opened the scoring, Nicklas Backstrom would notch a tally in the first frame for a 1-1 score at the first intermission. Evgeny Kuznetsov and T.J. Oshie would register tallies in the middle frame to give the Caps a 3-2 lead at the second intermission. The Jackets would tie it up early in the final frame, sending the game into overtime for the 4th time in the series. The Capitals would win it in overtime with a redirected goal by Nicklas Backstrom. Game 6 is set for Monday night in Columbus.
Braden Holtby (2-1, 1.32 GAA, .940 sv%) started in goal for the Capitals. Sergei Bobrovsky (2-2, 2.73 GAA, .921 sv%) started between the pipes for the Blue Jackets. The starting forward lines and defensive pairs for the Capitals:
Scratches: Jakub Jerebek, Travis Boyd, Shane Gersich, Madison Bowey and Andre Burakovsky (Upper Body).
The Blue Jackets would open the scoring with a short-handed breakaway goal from Matt Calvert at 10:08 of the first period. This was the first game where the Jackets scored the first goal in a game in this series.
But the Capitals would respond with the equalizer moments later when Nicklas Backstrom found the back of the net at 13:22 of the opening frame.
The period would conclude with the game tied 1-1. Columbus was 0 for 3 and the Capitals 0 for 2 on the man advantage. The Blue Jackets outshot the Capitals 11-7 for the first 20 minutes.
The Capitals would re-take the lead with a goal from Evgeny Kuznetsov at 3:21 of the middle frame. Dmitry Orlov was credited with the only assist on the goal.
But the Blue Jackets would get it right back. Matt Calvert would score his second of the game on a breakaway at 4:45 of the second period, tying the game 2-2.
The Capitals would re-take the lead once again, this time with a power play snipe from John Carlson, deflected in by T.J. Oshie at 16:42 of the second period.
The period would end with the Capitals leading 3-2. The Capitals outshot the Blue Jackets 13-9 in the middle frame, and ed 21-20 after two periods of play. Columbus was 0 for 5 and the Capitals 1 for 4 on the power play through 40 minutes of play.
The Blue Jackets would tie the game early in the final frame with a goal from Oliver Bjorkstrand at 2:30 of the third period.
The period would end with the game tied 3-3. The Jackets outshot the Capitals 16-1 for the final frame, and led 36-21 after three periods of play.
The Capitals would win it in overtime with a redirected goal from Nicklas Backstrom at 11:53 of the extra period.
- With his OT winner in Gm5 today, Nicklas Backstrom also tied Alex Ovechkin, Peter Bondra & Jason Chimera for the most playoff game winning goals in Capitals history (6)
- Backstrom passes Bondra and Dale Hunter, tying Ovechkin for the most 3+ point games (6) & passes Hunter for the 2nd most career even strength points (49) in WSH playoff history.
- Braden Holtby stopped 39 of the 42 shot he faced to improve to 3-1-0 in the playoffs. Holtby has a .938 save percentage in four playoff games this postseason.
- Chandler Stephenson recorded an assist on Backstrom’s goal, his first career playoff point. Three rookies have recorded a point in the playoffs for the Capitals (Jakub Jerabek, Jakub Vrana each with an assist).
- Jay Beagle led the team with eight face-off wins on 11 draws (73 percent). Coming into the game, Beagle was second in the playoffs in face-off percentage among players with at least 10 draws (70.8 percent).
- Tonight marked the 30th overtime win in franchise history. Washington improved to 30-36 all time and 14-16 at Capital One Arena in overtime.
- Chandler Stephenson became the third Capitals rookie to record a point (Jakub Vrana, Jakub Jerabek each with an assist).
- The Capitals are 7-8 all-time when entering Game 6 with a 3-2 series lead.
- Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 407th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
- For the 4th time in five games, the game required overtime.
- Columbus scored the first goal of the game for the first time in the series.
- The NHL box score is here.
SCENES FROM THE DISTRICT