Photo by Patrick McDermott/NHLI via Getty Images
The Washington Capitals beat the New Jersey Devils 5-3 Saturday night at Capital One Arena. Alex Ovechkin wasted little time giving the Caps an early 1-0 lead with his 48th goal of the season. The Devils would tie it up, but Nicklas Backstrom would register a tally in the final seconds of the period to make it 2-1 at the first intermission. Michal Kemnpy would give the Caps a 3-1 lead early in the middle frame before the Devils’ Miles Wood would register a tally, making it 3-2 at the second intermission. The Devils would tie it early in the third period, but Alex Oveckin would regain the lead for the Capitals moments later with his 49th goal of the season. Andre Burakovsky would make it 5-3 and that would be the final.
Braden Holtby (33-16-4, 2.99 GAA, .908 sv%) got the start between the pipes for the Capitals. Corey Schneider (17-15-6, 2.88 GAA, .909 sv%) got the start in goal for the Devils. The Capitals starting forward lines and defensive pairs:
Scratches: T.J. Oshie, Travis Boyd (sick), Brian Pinho, Christian Djoos, Madison Bowey & Jay Beagle (injury).
The Devils scratched a number of starters for this contest.
The Capitals wasted little time as Alex Ovechkin notched his 48th goal of the season, just 2:21 into the contest. Evgeny Kuznetsov and Tom Wilson were credited with the helpers.
The Devils would quickly tie things up with a goal from Nico Hischier at 8:10 of the opening frame.
Nicklas Backstrom would get on the score sheet in the waning seconds of the first period to make it 2-1.
The period would end with the Capitals leading 2-1. Shots on goal were 9-9 for the first 20 minutes.
The Capitals would stretch their lead to 3-1 with a goal from Michal Kempney at 3:44 of the middle frame. Shane Gersich and Chandler Stephenson were credited with helpers. This was Gersich’s first NHL point.
The Devils would notch a tally by Miles Wood at 19:07 to make it 3-2 at the second intermission.
The Devils outshot the Capitals 9-7 for the second period, and led 18-16 after 40 minutes of play.
The Devils’ Patrick Maroon would pot the tying tally just 2:04 into the final frame, making it 3-3.
The Capitals would regain the lead with a goal from Alex Ovechkin, his second of the game and 49th of the season at 5:11 of the final frame.
Andre Burakovsky would give the Capitals at 5-3 lead with 8:10 left in regulation.
And that would be the final.
- Alex Ovechkin registered 18 shots in the game. He ends the season with 49 goals.
- Nicklas Backstrom recorded a goal and an assist for his 799th career NHL point.
- Alex Ovechkin of the Capitals scored his 102nd career game-winning goal to pass Jarome Iginla (101) for sole possession of eighth place on the NHL’s all-time list.
- Ovechkin has also passed Luc Robitaille for the 2nd most career multi-goal games by a natural left winger (120- just 1 shy of tying Hull for the most)
- With Gersich’s point, he’s the eighth rookie to record a point for the Capitals this season. He’s also the sixth rookie to record his first career point this season for the Caps.
- The NHL box score is here.
By Jon Sorensen
SCENES FROM THE DISTRICT