Photo: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
The Capitals begin a back-to-back stretch on Thursday night against the New York Islanders. First the two teams will square off in Brooklyn before coming back to the district to meet again on Friday night. While the team did not hold a morning skate, here are the projected lines and some pregame notes to get you ready for the game.
There wasn’t a morning skate, but this is what the lines looked like at Wednesday’s practice.
Starting goalie: Philipp Grubauer
— CapitalsPR (@CapitalsPR) March 14, 2018
CAPS TODAY: Philipp Grubauer has stopped 190 of the last 199 shots he’s faced (.955 save percentage). He and the Capitals take on the Islanders tonight. https://t.co/nHXto3n1uY pic.twitter.com/7UPywnrwxx
— CapitalsPR (@CapitalsPR) March 15, 2018
- The Capitals are 105-88-13-6 all time against the Islanders including 11-5-3 over the last 19 meetings.
- Tom Wilson is one point shy of 100 career points.
- Philipp Grubauer is 10-6-2 over his last 24 appearances (dating back to Oct. 29) with a 1.83 goals against average and a .939 save percentage, which is the lowest goals against average and the highest save percentage among goaltenders with at least 17 appearances during that time frame.
- Grubauer’s .951 save percentage at even strength during that time frame ranks first among goaltenders with at least four appearances since Oct. 29.
- Alex Ovechkin has tallied 50 points (34 goals, 16 assists) in 48 career games against the Islanders, including 15 points (12 goals, 3 assists) in his last 16 games against New York.
- Ovechkin is one of only two active players to score 30 or more career goals against the Islanders (Sidney Crosby: also with 34 goals in 61 career games).
- Ovechkin and Crosby are also tied in multi-goal games against the Isles with eight each. That is the most multi-goal games against the NYI among active players.
- The Capitals have earned a point in 13 of their last 16 games against the Islanders (9-4-3) and have won three of their last six away games against New York (3-3-0).
CAPITALS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The @Capitals play the first of a home & home set with the @NYIslanders tonight. It’s also the first of four games in six nights for DC. We’ll get the @NBCSWashington coverage rolling with Caps FaceOff at 6:00 pm. Bon voyage @Laughlin18, enjoy the journey to Brooklyn!! pic.twitter.com/9obLD8LNUq
— Joe Beninati (@JoeBpXp) March 15, 2018
— Courtney Laughlin (@CourtneyNBCS) March 15, 2018
By Michael Marzzacco