Hershey Bears Split Weekend with Providence Bruins

Photo: AHL

The Hershey Bears split the weekend in Providence, after dropping Sunday’s game 4-1. 

The Bears defeated the Bruins Friday night 4-1 and lined up for a repeat Sunday afternoon in Providence. Troy Mann commented that the team that played Friday night was the best he has seen in this building in the past ten years.

Pheonix Copley was on a five-game personal win-streak and got the start between the pipes for the Chocolate and White. Starting on the blue line were Tyler Lewington and rookie Lucas Johansen. The forwards who took the ice first were Liam O’Brien, Jeremy Langlois, and Dustin Gazley.

Scratches for tonight’s contest were Connor Hobbs, John Albert, Garrett Mitchell, Hampus Gustafsson and Kris Bindulis. Mitchell did not travel with the team and is out day-to-day with a lower body injury.

First Period

The Bruins took an early lead less than two minutes in on a misplay by pheonix Copley.  Copley went behind the net to collect the puck and passed it to the wrong team.

Hershey went just under ten minutes without a shot on goal until Langlois drew a power play opportunity. Hershey put their first shot on goal during the second power play of the game. Shortly thereafter Liam O’Brien found a lose puck and snuck it in to tie the game at one. Riley Barber and Travis Boyd got the assists.

Hershey and Providence ended the first period with a 1-1 tie and 7-5 shots on goal in favor of Providence. Neither team showed a lot of offense during the first period.

Second Period

The second period opened up with a Bears power play, as Jonas Siegenthaler took an elbow to the head and went down. Hershey was awarded two minutes but could have arguably gotten more for the hit. Siegenthaler went directly to the locker room but returned to the bench before the power play expired.

The Bruins scored off an offensive zone face-off, giving Providence the 2-1 lead halfway through period 2.

Hubert Labrie got called for tripping and gave the Bruins a power play to end the period. Just 7 seconds left, Providence extended their lead 3-1 to end the second period.

The Bruins lead in shots on goal 13-11.

Third Period

Providence lead 3-1 going into the third period. O’Brien was tripped 5 minutes into the third period and drew the fourth power play for the Bears, but Hershey was unable to use this to their advantage. The Bruins took the 4-1 lead with just 5 minutes remaining in the third period.

The teams switched roles as Hershey fell to the Bruins 4-1 after taking the 4-1 victory Friday Night.

Hershey went 1-for-4 on the power play and 1-for-2 on the penalty kill. Former Providence Bruin, Wayne Simpson, celebrated his 28th Birthday playing against his former team.

The Bears took 2 of 4 points this weekend in Rhode Island and will return to action Wednesday Night as they host the Springfield Thunderbirds.

By Allison Shuey

View this post on Instagram

Oh yes!!! JFK Unassisted #letsgobruins #pbruinspride

A post shared by B (@brenlee7) on

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply