Penguins Down Bears 3-2; Hershey Drops to 1-5-1

The Hershey Bears fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 3-2 Friday night at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre. The loss dropped the Bears record to 1-5-0-1. The Bears return home on Saturday for a tilt with the Providence Bruins. Puck drop at the Giant Center is 7:00 PM. 

Adam Carlson (1-0-0, 2.01 GAA, .923 sv%) got his second AHL start in goal for the Bears. Tristan Jarry (1-2-0, 3.96 GAA, .883 sv%) was in net for the Penguins. This was the first of 12 meetings between the two teams this season.

Anthony Peluso was called-up by the Capitals Friday at 5:00 PM and therefor not on the Bears roster for this game.

Bears Lines:

Scratches for the Bears – Vitek Vanecek, Pheonix Copley, Mathias Bau and Kris Bindulis.

Penguins Lines:
Sestito-Blueger-Di Pauli

Scratches for the Penguins – Taylor, Josephs, Tinordi, Smith, Spinozzi, McGrath, Burton, Haggerty and Tiffels.

A fairly even first five minutes to the start of this one. The Bears led in shots on goal (SOG) 5-4 after the first 6 minutes of play.

The Pens were whistled for the game’s first infraction, a delay-of-game penalty, at the 5:54 mark of the opening frame, but the Bears would be unable to convert. Just as the first penalty expired, WBS was called for another penalty, as Tom Sestito was called for hooking at the 7:58 mark of the first period, but once again the Bears would be unable to find the back of the net with the man-advantage. The Bears would return to the power play at the 10 minute mark on a high-sticking call on Tom Kostopolous, but the third consecutive man-advantage would also be fruitless for the Bears.

The Penguins would strike first on a delayed penalty 6-on-5 situation, as Jean Sebastien-Dea whistled one over Carlson’s glove at the 13:05 mark of the opening frame. Sebastien-Dea was allowed to walk down the left wing unguarded, and launch a wrsiter from the left dot.

The period would end with the Penguins leading 1-0. The Bears led in SOG 12-10, but were 0 for 3 on the power play. The Penguins did not have a power play in the first period.

The Penguins would tilt the ice in the early going of the middle frame, holding the Bears to 0 SOG through the first three minutes.

The Bears would get their 4th power play of the game with 15:20 remaining in the second period, as former Bear Christian Thomas was called for tripping. This man-advantage would also come up dry, but shortly thereafter the Pens would be called for tripping again, sending the Bears back to the power play at the 7:27 mark, the Bears 5th consecutive power play. Unfortunately the Bears would be unable to capitalize on this opportunity as well.

Shots on goal were tied 4-4 with 8 minutes remaining in the second period. The Penguins would finally get their first power play of the game when Lucas Johansen was unjustly called for goaltender interference at the 13:25 mark of the middle frame. The Bears 2nd ranked penalty kill would come up strong, allowing no further damages to the scoreboard.

The Penguins would take a 2-0 lead on a goal by Teddy Blueger at the 16:14 mark of the second period. The Bears Adam Carlson made a great save just prior to the Pens tally, but the Bears would lapse on the follow-up defense, allowing the Penguins second goal of the game.

The Bears would get on the scoreboard with a short handed goal by Jeremy Langois with 2:39 left in the middle frame, halving the arena lead to 2-1.

The period would end with the Penguins leading 2-1 after two periods of play. The Penguins led in SOG 11-7 for the middle frame, and 21-19 after two periods of play. The Bears were 0 for 5 on the power play after two periods of play.

A fast and furious start to the final period, as both teams had early chances. Riley Barber, who had a number of good looks throughout the game, would finally find the back of the net with a tally at the 6:34 mark of the final frame, tying the game 2-2. Lucas Johansen and John Albert we’re credited with the assists.

The Penguins would regain the lead with 9:08 left in the third period on a power play goal by Dominik Simon, making it 3-2.

The Bears would amplify the pressure in the Penguins zone immediately following the third Penguins goal, but just couldn’t find the back of the net. The Penguins would jold on for the 3-2 win.

The Bears outshot the Penguins 32-27, but cam up empty on the power play, going 0 for 7 on the man advantage. The Penguins were 1 for 3 on the power play.

AHL box score can be found here. Video highlights of the game:


By Jon Sorensen


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Penguins Down Bears 3-2; Hershey Drops to 1-5-1

  1. Diane Doyle says:

    On the Bears, no goaltending, no wins. (When minus BOTH the #1 AND #2 goalie, it’s bad news for a team)

  2. Pingback: Connor Hobbs Comes Through as Hershey Wins their First Home Game | NoVa Caps

  3. Pingback: After rough start, Lucas Johansen coming into his own | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply