The Capitals play of late has been simply amazing. Washington has stepped on the gas and steamrolled a number of the best teams in the league, all on the way to winning nine consecutive games. Here are some of the stats related to the Capitals play since New Year’s Eve.
A summary of games since New Years Eve:
Just a few facts:
- Have won nine straight. (undefeated in 2017).
- Have taken over first place in the Metropolitan Division.
- Now have the best record in the NHL (63 points).
- Ended Columbus Blue Jackets 16-game winning streak.
- Beat Montreal, Pittsburgh and Chicago by a combined score of 15-3.
- has not allowed an even-strength goal in last six games – since January 3rd against Toronto, a span of 369:14.
- has four shutouts in last six games (first time in franchise history)
- The Capitals have more shutouts (4) than goals allowed (3) in last six games.
- has allowed two goals or fewer in eight of the nine games.
- penalty kill is 38 for its last 43.
- has outscored opponents 40-11 in their last nine games.
- has outscored opponents 26-3 in last six games.
- has scored five or more goals in six of the last nine games.
Braden Holtby – Since being pulled from the game against Toronto:
- Three shutouts (six shutouts for the season).
- 0.60 GAA, .978 save percentage.
And we can’t leave out Philipp Grubauer: He’s 8-1-1 with .935 save percentage and 1.74 goals-against average this season.
By Jon Sorensen