NHL Making Moves To Skip Next Winter Olympics

gary-bettman-smile
Photo: Awful Announcing

The NHL is making initial moves to officially skip the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea. The NHL’s participation has been up in the air for the last year or so. 

Nothing has been finalized, but the NHL has made an official inquiry about skipping the games.

League officials will meet with the International Ice Hockey Federation in New York on Wednesday. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the NHL hopes to learn if any traction has been made between the IIHF and the International Olympic Committee with regard to potential sticking points, including money issues. NHL officials have expressed concerns that the IOC is not willing to cover out-of-pocket payments it took care of at the past five Olympics.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said those costs were upward of $10 million during a two-week hiatus next season.

The Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin has stated several times that he will participate in the games, regardless of the NHL’s decision to participate or not. Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis has publicly stated that he will back his Captain’s decision.

By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to NHL Making Moves To Skip Next Winter Olympics

  1. Pingback: Ted Leonsis Has Given Nicklas Backstrom Permission to Participate in 2018 Olympics | NoVa Caps

  2. Pingback: NHL Won’t Participate in 2018 Olympics, League Announced | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.