Capitals Down Jets 3-2


The Washington Capitals beat the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 on Tuesday night at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. The two teams will go at it again this Thursday night at Verizon Center. Puck drop is 7PM. 

capitals-at-jetsCoach Trotz went with the same line combinations used in the previous two games. As a result, Daniel Winnik and Taylor Chorney were once again the healthy scratches.

Barry Trotz stated last week that he would likely work Chorney into the lineup for  a game on the western Canada road trip. With 10% of the regular season in the books, Chorney has yet to appear in a game this season.

Connor Hellebuyck got the start in goal for the Jets. Braden Holtby got the start between the pipes for the Capitals.

Winnipeg came out firing on all cylinders, dominating early play, but Braden Holtby was sharp from the start, and kept the game scoreless. The Jets would go on the game’s first power play at the 9:17 mark of the opening frame, but the man-advantage was squandered away on a subsequent penalty on Winnipeg. The Jets returned to the power play as a result of a holding call on Dmitry Orlov at the 15:52 mark, but Holtby and the Capitals penalty kill unit would stymie the Jets man-advantage once again. Karl Alzner would finally get the Caps on the board with a nasty wrister from the left point at 19:16 of the first period.

The first period would end with the Capitals leading 1-0. The Jets led in shots on goal, 14-8 for the period.

A fairly even battle to start the second period, as the Capitals stepped up pressure in the offensive zone. Marcus Johansson would stretch the Capitals lead to 2-0 on a beautiful pass to the front of the goal by Evgeny Kuznetsov at 8:15 of the middle frame.

Braden Holtby continued to have a very strong game, as Winnipeg certainly had good chances through two periods of play. The Jets out shot the Capitals 15-9 for the second period, and 29-17 for the first two periods.

The Jets would cut the Capitals lead in half on a goal by Mark Scheifele at the 13:04 mark of the final period.

The goal energized the Jets and the Jet’s crowd at MTS Centre. The Jets would tie the game on a goal by Adam Lowry at the 17:35 mark of the third period.

But Jay Beagle would come up big, giving the Capitals the lead with 30 seconds left in the game. The Capitals would hold on for the 3-2 win.

The Capitals bench reacting to Beagle’s goal:



By Jon Sorensen

About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Games, News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Capitals Down Jets 3-2

  1. Diane Doyle says:

    And Tom Wilson’s girlfriend was in the house as well. Taylor Pischke took time from her studies to attend the game and Instagrammed herself.

Leave a Reply