Hershey Falls to Lake Erie 1-0, Monsters Win Calder Cup


The Hershey Bears fell to the Lake Erie Monsters 1-0 on Saturday night in Cleveland. With the win, Lake Erie wins the Calder Cup, sweeping the Bears 4-0. The series winner came with 1.9 seconds left in the first overtime.

Game 4 was played before a sell out-crowd of 19,665 at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. This was the largest hockey crowd in Cleveland history. This was also the second largest crowd for a Calder Cup final in AHL history. Stats for game 4 can be found here.

Photo: @shayzen

The first period would be scoreless. The Bears were able to muster just two shots on goal in the first 11 minutes of play. However the Monsters were just one better with 3 shots on goal more than half-way through the opening frame. Shots on goal for the period were 9-6 in favor of Lake Erie. No penalties were called in the first period.

The Bears’ Justin Peters would have to come-up big in the opening seconds of  the middle frame to keep the game scoreless.


Once again the Bears would find it difficult to generate shots on goal, registering their third shot on goal for the middle frame at the midway point of the second period. Justin Peters made several tremendous saves to keep the game scoreless, as Lake Erie continued to stretch their lead in shots on goal, leading 19-9 with 7:39 left in the second period.

The Bears’ Aaron Ness was whistled for the games’ first penalty with 3:49 left in the second period, however the Bears would be able to kill off the Monsters power play. During the penalty kill, the Bears Ryan Bourque would leave the game with an injury to the wrist or arm. Lake Erie was called for too many men on the ice, giving the Bears their first power play with 1:28 left in the second period. The second period would also be scoreless, with the Monsters leading in shots on goal 21-12.

The Bears Dustin Gazley had an excellent opportunity on a break away early in the 3rd period, however his shot rang off the post. Lake Erie was called for tripping at 4:14, giving the Bears their second power play of the game. Jakub Vrana missed a partially open net midway through the power play, as the Bears would be unable to capitalize on the man advantage. The Bears were called for too many men on the ice at 8:10 of the third period, giving Lake Erie their second power play of the game. The third period would end scoreless. Lake Erie led in shots on goal 27-16 through three periods of play.

Lake Erie’s Oliver Bjorkstrand would notch the series-winner with 1.9 seconds remaining in the first overtime, to win the Calder Cup for the Lake Erie Monsters.



Oliver Bjorkstrand would be named the Calder Cup MVP.


This would be the last game for Bears President and GM Doug Yingst, ending a 34-year career with the Bears.


About Jon Sorensen

Jon has been a Caps fan since day one, attending his first game at the Capital Centre in 1974. His interest in the Caps has grown over the decades and included time as a season ticket holder. He has been a journalist covering the team for 10+ years, primarily focusing on analysis, analytics and prospect development.
This entry was posted in Hershey Bears, News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Hershey Falls to Lake Erie 1-0, Monsters Win Calder Cup

  1. Pingback: Sunday Caps Clips - Sport Feeds To The Fans

  2. Pingback: Monsters Beat Bears 5-2 | NoVa Caps

Leave a Reply