Brooks Orpik media-scrum this morning in Pittsburgh: Photo: @RobCarlonCSN
The Capitals held practice skate at CONSOL Energy Center this morning in Pittsburgh. Puck-drop for game 3 is tonight at 8:00 PM. The game will be televised on NBCSN.
Karl Alzner lifted weights outside of the Caps locker room, and is likely to play tonight.
Assume Weber is out, and Alzner will skate with Niskanen on the top pair, as usual.
— Isabelle Khurshudyan (@ikhurshudyan) May 2, 2016
NEWS AND NOTES
- Start time for Game 5 of Second Round series between Penguins and Capitals is set for 7:15 p.m. ET on Saturday in Washington.
- The Capitals will be holding a viewing party at Verizon Center for game 4 on Wednesday night. More information and RSVP here:
- Happy 37th birthday to Jason Chimera!
- Caps and MSE Foundation Host Service Project at Fort Dupont. More information here:
- The NHL announced last night that Brooks Orpik has been suspended for three games, starting with game 3 tonight.
- Although suspended, Brooks Orpik can still participate in all team activities, including practice, which he did indeed do this morning.
- In his press conference this morning, Coach Trotz implied Orpik’s suspension was affected by opponent. Video here.
- The Penguins held an optional morning skate today. Fleury is took shots at start of practice, Murray in the starter’s net.
- Alex Ovechkin has gone 5 straight games without a goal.. He has not gone 6 in a row all season.
- Olli Maatta did not participate in the Pens morning skate and will not play in game 3 tonight.
- Excluding Mike Weber, Orpik is the only Caps defenseman with a sub-50 percent CF%. He’s at 43.98 percent.
- Braden Holtby has posted a 5-3 record with 2 shutouts & a .957 SV% this postseason & leads the NHL in SV% & SO’s this postseason.
- When teams are tied 1-1 after two games, the team that has won Game 3 has gone on to win series 67 percent of the time.
- Playoff penalty differential since 2008 shows the Caps at -31. Interesting data.
Brooks Orpik’s response to suspension:
Brooks Orpik says it’s a fair suspension.. Definitely a late hit.. Says he spoke to Maatta but wouldn’t elaborate.. #CapitalsTalk..
— Rob Carlin (@RobCarlinCSN) May 2, 2016
Tom Wilson with an astute observation:
Tom Wilson: “I don’t think it’s fair for guys that have the talk shows after the games to be calling Orpik a predator.”
— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) May 2, 2016
— dckerNBC4 (@dckerNBC4) May 2, 2016
Scene Shifts to Pittsburgh for Game 3 (Mike Vogel)
Two-Man Advantage (Video) (Mike Vogel and John Walton)
Brooks Orpik post-practice media scrum (Video) (Monumental Sports)
Braden Holtby meets with media following practice this morning (Video) (Monumental Sports)
Alex Ovechkin meets with the media following practice this morning (Video) (Monumental Sports)
Barry Trotz hints NHL favored Penguins on Orpik suspension (Yahoo Sports)
Power vs. Power and Crosby vs. Backstrom (Japers’ Rink)
The Narrative: Orpik/Maatta, The Other Cheek and Sid vs. Ovi (Japers’ Rink)
The Noon Number: Backstrong in the Dot (Japers’ Rink)
Taylor Chorney looks to see more time on the ice and the Capitals’ penalty kill (WaPo)
Nicklas Backstrom gets faceoff redemption, as Capitals’ top line continues to hold its own (WaPo)