The Capitals returned to practice this morning at Kettler, to finalize preparations for game 1 of the second round of the playoffs. Puck-drop against the Penguins is a pesky prime time 8:00PM.
Brooks Orpik practiced again today and looks like a strong possibility for playing in tomorrow night’s opener, although he still hasn’t been medically cleared. Karl Alzner was not at practice today (maintenance day). Practice lines at morning skate:
Mike Weber filled in for Alzner on the second defensive pair.
Another maintenance day for Karl Alzner. Don’t panic, he looked fine when he walked past me and smiled yesterday. #CapitalsTalk
— Chuck Gormley (@ChuckGormleyCSN) April 27, 2016
Trotz said Alzner is expected to play in Game 1 vs. Pens tomorrow. Said he’s not worried. “He’ll be fine.”
— Katie Brown (@katiebhockey) April 27, 2016
Braden Holtby was officially announced as a Vezina trophy finalist this afternoon:
Extended Metro Hours
Verizon Center and Metro announce extended service for Capitals’ Playoff Game on April 28. Metrorail will remain open one additional hour to accommodate fans attending the Capitals playoff game tomorrow, Thursday, April 28 at Verizon Center at 8 p.m. Fans entering the system after midnight must use the following station entrances:
- Gallery Place (7th and F Street entrance only)
- Judiciary Square (F Street entrance only)
- Metro Center (11th & G Street entrance only)
All Capitals Goals from Round 1 in 60 seconds:
NEWS AND NOTES
- Yesterday, the NHL announced the complete schedule for the Capitals-Penguins series, which can be found here:
- The Flyers Brayden Schenn was suspended for his hit on T.J. Oshie in game 6 of the first round series. More information here:
- The Capitals have announced a viewing party at Verizon Center for game 4 on Thursday, May 4th. More information here:
- Don’t forget to catch “Caps Talk” with John Walton each weekday from 4-6PM on Caps Radio.
- The Capitals and Penguins met five times during the regular season with Washington posting a 2-2-1 record.
- A recap of the playoff history between the Penguins and Capitals can be found here:
- Penguins Coach Mike Sullivan said Conor Sheary (missed today’s practice) has “some bumps & bruises.” The Penguns medical staff held him out today, but he is expected to play Game 1.
Happy 29th Birthday to Taylor Chorney!
Beagle Aims for Yet Another Championship (Mike Vogel)
Why Alex Ovechkin doesn’t want this to be Ovi vs. Crosby (Chuck Gormley)
Caps head coach Barry Trotz addresses the media after the second day of practice leading up to the Round Two against the Pittsburgh Penguins. (Monumental Sports)
Get to Know a Penguin: Nick Bonino (Japers’ Rink)
Capitals’ Holtby has edge over Penguins’ Murray (NHL.com)
Capitals Report (4/27) (Mike Vogel and John Walton)
Trotz provides updates on Alzner, Orpik (WaPo)
Capitals prepare to play former teammate Eric Fehr in playoffs (WaPo)
Capitals iron man Karl Alzner takes a maintenance day (WaPo)
Ovechkin vs. Crosby: NHL stars cross in playoffs for first time since 2009 (WaPo)