Stan Galiev leads final stretches. Photo @washcaps
The Washington Capitals return home tonight when they host the Carolina Hurricanes at Verizon Center. Puck-drop is a much more reasonable 7:00 PM EST.
The practice lines for the Caps this morning:
Mike Weber, Michael Latta and Stanislav Galiev look to be the healthy scratches for tonight’s game against the ‘Canes.
Braden Holtby was first off the ice this morning and looks to get the start tonight in net. Eddie Lack will get the start in goal for the ‘Canes tonight. Braden Holtby got a win in his only start against the Hurricanes this season. He stopped 18 of 19 shots.
‘Canes morning skate at Verizon Center. Photo: @NHLCanes
Defensive age differences for tonight’s game:
News and Notes
- Rosters and stats for tonight’s game can be found here:
- The Capitals will clinch a playoff birth tonight if they earn at least one-point against the Hurricanes (Overtime loss). A win and they’re in.
- The Caps can also earn a playoff birth if the Flyers defeat the Red Wings in regulation, or if the Islanders defeat the Penguins in any fashion.
- Braden Holtby is gunning for win number 42 tonight, which would set a franchise record.
- The ‘Canes defeated the Caps 4-2 on New Years Eve, which ended a Capitals 9 game win streak. The ‘Canes Eddie Lack stopped 30 of 32 shots.
- Officials for tonight’s game: Refs TJ Luxmore & Kevin Pollock with linesmen Steve Barton & Jonny Murray:
- It’s Russian Heritage night tonight at Verizon Center.
- Join John Walton at Flight Wine Bar from 4-6PM on Tuesday for the “Caps Talk” radio show before the Caps-Canes game. Located at 777 6th ST NW.
- Washington Capitals Fan Appreciation Week is March 21st through 26th. More information can be found here:
- MS&E Foundation will host the Capitals Green Auction featuring limited edition green jerseys, worn during the pregame warmups, and player-signed pucks prior to tonight’s game. All proceeds will benefit Anacostia Waterfront Trust. More here: Bid here:
Barry Trotz post-practice media session (Monumental Sports)
Skate Shavings (Dump ‘N Chase)
Caps Come Home to Host ‘Canes (Dump ‘N Chase)
Alzner on how Williams has quickly become a leader for the Caps (CSNMA)
Caps Dad’s Trip (Video) Monumental Sports
Capitals, Ovechkin slumping at same time (CSNMA)
First in the Standings, Last in the First (Japers Rink)
After recent slump, Capitals’ lines get shuffled (WaPo)
John Carlson starts skating after procedure for lower-body injury (WaPo)
Alex Ovechkin says his lower-body injury still bothers him (WaPo)
More three-on-three overtimes are going to shootouts (WaPo)
CSNMA to honor Craig Laughlin’s 25th season as Caps broadcaster (CSNMA)
Players explain how Caps locker room is uniquely close (WaPo)