The Washington Capitals return home tonight to begin a four-game home stand when they play host to the New Jersey Devils. Puck-drop is 7:00 PM.
Practice lines at morning skate:
Devils @ Capitals
The New Jersey Devils are playing the 2nd of a back-to-back set of games, after losing 1-0 at home last night to the New York Islanders. The Devils, 29-23-7, are 4-4-2 over their last 10 games and battling for a Wild-Card spot.
The Washington Capitals, 42-10-4, start a four-game home stand tonight. Following tonight’s game with the Devils, The Capitals will host Arizona on Monday, Montreal on Wednesday and Minnesota next Friday. Washington is 2-0-0 against New Jersey this season and has won five consecutive games against the Devils.
News and Notes
- Jay Beagle returned to practice with the team today (in non-contact jersey). Beagle was greeted with stick-taps and cheers from his team mates. As per Isabelle Khurshudyan, Trotz said this week that once Beagle starts skating with the team, it’s a seven- to 10-day window until he plays again. Beagle said he hopes he can play next week. Hand is healed, but still can’t completely close it.
- As per Isabelle Khurshudyan, Trotz acknowledged that (John) Carlson hasn’t been playing to the level he was before injury. But said he respects him for rushing back to lineup. Trotz on Carlson: “He was trying to get back so quickly after that, & you can tell it was affecting his play. … didn’t have the same pop.”
- As per Katie Brown, Justin Williams on the changes to the top two lines: “There’s no top line, absolutely not.” “I don’t think it matters who anybody plays with. Everything is interchangeable, is what it feels like.”
- T.J. Oshie will play in his 500th NHL game tonight. As per Chuck Gormley, Asked TJ Oshie if he knew tonight vs Devils will be his 500th NHL game. He had no idea. ‘It took me long enough.’
- As per @CapitalsPR, Alex Ovechkin leads the NHL in goals, power-play goals and goals per 60 minutes.
- Hershey Bears and Washington Capitals prospect Forward Paul Carey will miss the remainder of season and playoffs due to a shoulder injury.
- The Caps are holding their “Caps on Tap” bar tour today from 2-7 PM. More information can be found right here:
- Capitals held their “Hockey Is For Everyone” Skate for the blind today. This is always a great annual event held by the Caps:
Capitals embrace Hockey Is For Everyone spirit today at Kettler! pic.twitter.com/BoFIyZ4iD7
— Chuck Gormley (@ChuckGormleyCSN) February 20, 2016
- And finally, The Capitals have released the “HoltBeast” action figure. The time has come. The Caps have also released a promotional video of the HoltBeast action figure, which can be viewed right here: The Action figure will be available on Friday at the Caps-Wild game at Verizon Center.
Caps Today and Top Game Notes, 2/20/16 (Caps Today)
Jay Beagle returns to team practices (WaPo)
Braden Holtby’s numbers have dipped slightly (WaPo)
You can follow NoVa Caps on Twitter at: @NoVa_Caps