AP Photo / Alex Brandon
The Washington Capitals held their final practice before the All-Start break this morning. The team finalized preparations for their game against the Philadelphia Flyers tonight at Verizon Center. Puck-drop is 8:00 PM, and will be nationally televised on NBCSN as their “Wednesday Night Rivalry” game of the week.
John Carlson returned to the practice lines this morning, and looks probable for tonight’s game with the Flyers. Carlson was also activated off injured reserve. Carlson is officially listed as a “game-time decision”, however it looks likely that he will play tonight. Practice lines for this morning’s skate:
Power play practice: Carlson was slotted at the point of for the second power-play unit. Matt Niskanen was still on the first power play unit. Braden Holtby will get the start for the Capitals. Former Caps goalie Michal Neuvirth will get the start in net for the Flyers. Neuvirth has earned 10 victories this season, including three shutouts, and leads the NHL with an impressive .934 save pct.
News and Notes
- This will be the Capitals first game in the last eight days. The Capitals will then will have the next five days off for the All-Star break. (One game in 13 days).
- The court hearing for Mike Richards, originally scheduled for tomorrow, has been adjourned to Feb. 25.
- Mike Richards said he won’t do an AHL conditioning stint during the all-star break. Richards said he is going to Florida.
- Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner is scheduled to play in his 423rd consecutive game on Wednesday night, passing Bob Carpenter (422) for the longest consecutive games played streak in franchise history. Karl Alzner said his neighbors expressed concern about him shoveling snow because he could get hurt and not set the Caps’ iron man streak.
- Due to the severe snow impacting the Washington D.C, area, Courage Caps, Washington Capitals team-issued branded hats and T-shirts will now go on sale beginning Wednesday, Jan. 27, when the Capitals host the Philadelphia Flyers. Courage Caps and T-shirts will be sold for $20 online at WashingtonCaps.com, at the Washington Capitals Team Store at Kettler Capitals Iceplex and at the Team Store and at stands throughout Verizon Center during Capitals home games.
How a little bit of snow helped some Caps bond with their community, ya jerks (WaPo)
Carlson probable to return; Neuvirth to start against Caps for the first time: (NHL.com)
John Carlson is a game-time decision but is probable for Capitals-Flyers (WaPo)
Capitals’ Andre Burakovsky isn’t just out of his funk. He’s got his confidence back. (WaPo)
Capitals-Flyers preview. (ESPN)
The Last Time The Caps Rescheduled Multiple Postponements (Mike Vogel)
Snow break comes at a bad time for Mike Richards (WaPo)
Capitals’ Backstrom ready to take All-Star stage (NHL.com)
Mother Nature called for icing: Red-hot Capitals still waiting to play (WaPo)
John Carlson may not return to lineup until after all-star break (WaPo)
This time around, Marcus Johansson is finding his groove at center (WaPo)