The Washington Capitals held morning skate at Kettler today, in preparation for their game tonight against the Vancouver Canucks. Puck drop is 7:00 PM at Verizon Center. The NoVa Caps game preview can be found here:
Brooks Orpik, John Carlson and Jay Beagle skated with trainer Mark Nemish prior to morning skate. Practice lines for this morning’s skate:
It looks like Michael Latta and Mike Richards will be the scratches for tonight’s game. Coach Trotz was quoted this week saying he would like to get the newly acquired Mike Richards into a game before the All-Star break.
Braden Holtby was first off the ice, and will get the start in net for the Capitals tonight. Ryan Miller will get the start in net for the Canucks.
News and Notes
- As per Isabelle Kkurshudyn, Re: Latta, Trotz said, “he’s healthy right now, but I’m probably just going to hold him off one more day.”
- According to Mike Vogel, Jay Beagle is expected to return to hockey activities in mid-February.
- Marcus Johansson returns to the lineup tonight, following his two game suspension for his hit on the Islanders’ Thomas Hickey on January 7th.
- Scott Gomez signed with the Hershey Bears on a PTO.
- The Capitals will be playing their first game since Saturday. The Caps are 3-1 after having a four-day break.
- Courage Caps, Washington Capitals team-issued branded hats and T-shirts, will go on sale beginning Sunday, Jan. 24. More information here:
- Cap Red Line interview with Alex Ovechkin (Part 2). Mike Vogel sits one-on-one with the Great 8.
With the addition of Mike Richards, where does Michael Latta fit? (WaPo)
Inside the Capitals’ ‘cult of crossword men’ (WaPo)
Scott Gomez joins Hershey Bears on a professional tryout contract (WaPo)
Mike Richards progressing in practice, but won’t play Thursday (WaPo)
Alex Ovechkin, with each milestone, keeps focus on his destination (WaPo)
Despite injuries, Andre Burakovsky, Tom Wilson and Michael Latta all expected to play Thursday (WaPo)
Alex Ovechkin has Powerball fever (WaPo)