The Washington Capitals Fan Club launches its annual holiday fund raiser, “Rock the Red”—Christmas balls autographed by players on November 21st. All proceeds from the sales will go to Fort Dupont’s Kids on Ice program to fund their first summer hockey camp.
Club President Nancy Rogers has spent many hours standing outside Kettler Iceplex waiting for the players who gladly signed the balls. She says there are a number of options for fans interested in stuffing their stockings with these special holiday gifts including:
• a red ball signed in gold signed by two Caps players,
• a white ball signed in red by two Caps players,
• a limited number of balls signed by Alex Ovechkin, Braden Holty, Nicklas Backstrom or TJ Oshie.
• Bid on a Ball:
• Select balls decorated by players, and/or their families or signed with holiday greetings. These balls will go to the highest bidder at the end of the second intermission during each home game.
• Large Ball Raffle:
• One large red ball signed by all the team. The winner will be drawn during the second intermission of the Capitals – Tampa game on December 18.
The Christmas balls will be available (while they last) from November 21st to December 18, the Caps last home game before Christmas. You can find the balls at the Fan Club table outside Section 115 during all home games. This is a great opportunity to give back to our local hockey community while checking off gifts for your favorite Caps friends and family. You don’t need to be a Club member to participate, but if you haven’t signed up yet, it’s a great time to get your membership too.
By Maggie Marcum